Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a normal gray that will be 6 months old on September 2, 2018. I've known since he was about 10 wks that he was a boy because he was constantly wolf whistling, could say "whatcha doin'?" and was already picking up the Andy Griffith song. He's learned that now, but I've noticed that there are more feathers around and his face is turning yellow as we look at him. :)

What is happening is, every toy I buy him, he tears up. I've got pieces and parts and I've used zip ties to hang them and come home to an empty zIp tie and the toy laying on the bottom of the cage, bells and all. He's torn up about 4 of them and every time I try to get inventive and hang one of them back up after trying to put it together, the next day when we get home from work, it's lying in the bottom of the cage.

He's a real sweetheart but I think he's just grumpy because he's molting, but I need ideas on what to use to put the toys back together. He rally beats up on them, hanging on them and constantly chewing at any weak spot he can find. I could just use ideas to make him toys so he can beat up on them. Right now, he's a real rascal. He also bites if you try to move him off your shoulder when he wants to be there.:grey tiel:

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
torn up toys

Hi janeshix - cockatiels just love to beat up on their toys, as you have found out! It might be easier (and cheaper!) to give him "freebie" toys to shred. Things that work well are strips of white paper towels (dyes can be harmful) or pine cones from non-spayed trees. And there are toys made just for shredding. You can look on line.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use paper bags

Hi janeshix - cockatiels just love to beat up on their toys, as you have found out! It might be easier (and cheaper!) to give him "freebie" toys to shred. Things that work well are strips of white paper towels (dyes can be harmful) or pine cones from non-spayed trees. And there are toys made just for shredding. You can look on line.
Good luck!
Tearing up things is our boy's favorite play. But he really likes to go undercover too, literally under your shirt or blanket if you have that on your lap.
So we found a combo of that, paper-sacks from fast food, like Jack-in-the-box or McDo's. We set the bag next to our lap, he crawls in and he starts making windows and doors. It's lovely creativity, hobbit style! :ylw lovie:
We found too, for extra challenge those long narrow boxes for pop cans from the grocery do a very good job too. The bags last only about 1 day, and the boxes a number of days.
Super cute to see a tail peaking out the opening waving like a wand as he works away.
He likes strings and shoelaces too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all, good suggestions. I'll try those. I got him a wooden ladder and strung it across his cage and he chewed one side of one of the steps off, but I was able to zip tie it back so he can still sit on it. Yea, he just LOVES tearing up stuff. I put plain white paper on top of his cage when I let him out and put his food and water up there. He loves nibbling on the paper, so I leave it there on purpose so he can. I cannot seem to get him to eat anything orange, though. He looks at orange food like it's going to eat HIM. Lol!! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks y'all, good suggestions. I'll try those. I got him a wooden ladder and strung it across his cage and he chewed one side of one of the steps off, but I was able to zip tie it back so he can still sit on it. Yea, he just LOVES tearing up stuff. I put plain white paper on top of his cage when I let him out and put his food and water up there. He loves nibbling on the paper, so I leave it there on purpose so he can. I cannot seem to get him to eat anything orange, though. He looks at orange food like it's going to eat HIM. Lol!! Thanks!
Yes I noticed that too, he hates the kind of oranges and reds that are used on parrot toys and structures. It may excite parrots, but it affronts our Cockatiel.:ylw lovie:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Red and orange scare my flock too. 'Tiels have very keen eyesight and can see many more colours than our human eyes, so certain colours might look different to them than they do to us. I prefer to buy or make them toys out of all-natural substances that aren't dyed like loofah, wicker, popsicle sticks, shredded paper and cardboard, and natural safe chewable wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts