Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I adopted two baby cockatiels a few days ago who're 3 weeks and 2 days old. I have been feeding them Kaytee formula at 4-hour intervals, except from midnight to 6 am. They're usually hungry by the time I come to feed them and don't mind the schedule.

Anyways, onto the questions!

1) I have been feeding them using room-temperature water; the room they're in is ~31 degrees Celsius (88 F) and they eat it just fine. However, I've seen many sources emphasize I use 37-42 C (98-107 F) water. Is it necessary? Or now that the birds are used to it should I not change anything?

2) When do I move them to a cage? I know that when they get active and fluttery at 4 weeks I should move them to a cage in the morning (with some steamed veggies and spray millets for them to discover) and back to their makeshift brooder at bedtime. However, they are a little active and curious now! They do still sleep in the morning sometimes. Should I wait longer or start moving them to a cage now?

3) I'm keeping them, as stated, in a 30-degree Celsius room. Around what age can I move them to the normal rooms (25-27 degrees Celsius) we stay in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
1) Warm formula is better to reduce soar crop or slow crop issue.
2) No hurry to move them to cage and no hurry to offer soft food. You can wait until 6 weeks or depends feather growth of your birds.
3) When they grow enough feather to maintain body temperature, which is high depending feather development. Before that, keep them a warm environment , which will reduce soar / slow crop problems, and keep them growing fast. 30C is too low to be honest. I will keep them around 32-33C.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts