Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a newbie both to this community and owning/ breeding cockatiels. I was gifted a pair and they have now had babies that hatched a few week's ago now I would like some help identifying both the parents colour along with the babies if at all possible. The father has no yellow on him the mother is the yellow head.TIA

20200117_170317.jpg
Screenshot_20191117-102416_Video Player.jpg
20201015_164906.jpg
20201015_164858.jpg

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Looks like both parents are cinnamon and dad is also whiteface. Mom must be split to whiteface, because you have three cinnamon whiteface chicks, and one that's cinnamon with a normal face.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, Becka.Pecka,
I am pretty new to the whole having pet birds in general, but from the images you shared yours look a lot like the parents of my whiteface lutino(albino is easier to say) cockatiel.
I spent a lot of time with the breeder I got my albino tiel from. Your birds babies look a lot like the siblings mine had as well. One of her siblings came out looking silver with white face as your adult parent does, as were one of her parents. Only one of her 3 siblings had any yellow and his mutation made him look like a female grey tiel with grey on face and limited yellow. I was told that with cinnamon mutation, he had a dusty look that made his orange cheeks look like a female(they did DNA test on each baby to know sex because of the mutations). Mine was the only albino of the 4 babies and the breeder said she was only one the pair has had as of yet. One of her sisters had big grey and white patches that wrapped up her torso and neck with a grey face. Mutations are tricky.

I also have a male cockatiel who until he had his adult feathers come in did we realize he wasn't a normal grey because now he has white patches and what looks like pearls on his body and his face has got a pastel faded look to it. He has a single pink toe which should of been a hint. His looks changed so much, he looks more like a female now besides the bright orange cheeks, it took a DNA test to find out. We learned this is because he is a split pied and is starting to look a bit dusty, like he might have had a bit of a cinnamon mutation.

The breeder I got my albino from wouldnt even take more than a small deposit on the babies because she said she wouldn't know what to charge in selling them for a few weeks after they hatched and were completely covered in feathers, and even then she wanted to wait til they were weaned to know the price.

Your babies all look so much as the ones the breeder my albino came from when they were young so I am guessing you will probably have a few very unique looking birds soon once they get older. It will be interesting to see as they age.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you so much for the quick responses they've been very helpful. The mutations get very confusing especially when there is more than one to factor in or there are those hidden split ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts