Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I adopted 2 cockatiels. A little back story, these birds were really neglected. My aunt breeds birds and she sold a pair to a friend of hers who ended up leaving the birds outside in a small cage all day without any type of human interaction. Once my aunt found out she asked her to give them back and sent them off to me since she was unable to keep them. When they got to me I realized it was actually two males. We found out the woman let the pair have multiple clutches resulting in the hen dying and she thought we wouldn't notice if she replaced her.. they have been with me about 5 months now. They are very scared and I haven't had any luck with them trusting me. I have tried leaving my hand still in their cage and trying to feed them millet. They start going crazy like I'm trying to hurt them and it's really sad! I feel bad seeing them shake when I get close. I sit by their cage everyday and talk to them. So far only progress I've made is having one of them respond with a chirp every now and then when I say hey. And they just started making a little noise, they are very quiet. I have had them checked out, they are healthy. I have them near my parakeets so they won't ever be in complete silence. I make sure they are able to see me handle the parakeets so they can realize I mean no harm but I've had no luck! Is there any tips or advice someone can give me to get them to ease up? My goal is to be able to let them out their cage and have them feel comfortable about it.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
All I can say is patience...keep doing what you are doing, and they will come around. It took them a long time to get this way and it will take some time to come around. So sad when they are treated so badly, but kudos to you for adopting them. I will say a little prayer for them both, and you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts