Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. i'm new to the forum. I have 6 cockatiels plus a newly hatched chick (1 day). Mother and father sat on the eggs (4) faithfully for most of the brooding. A few days ago father pushed a couple eggs out of the nest and sat on them for a while then left them. I put them back in the nest with the mother and she continued to sit on them. Yesterday a chick hatched and father pushed it out of the nest and sat on it then left it. I placed it back in with mother and she took it under her. Same thing tonight only now she is not taking it under her. We have a heat lamp on it but are unsure what to do at this point. Should we continue to try getting mother to take it?

· Registered
265 Posts
Hi.. i'm new to the forum. I have 6 cockatiels plus a newly hatched chick (1 day). Mother and father sat on the eggs (4) faithfully for most of the brooding. A few days ago father pushed a couple eggs out of the nest and sat on them for a while then left them. I put them back in the nest with the mother and she continued to sit on them. Yesterday a chick hatched and father pushed it out of the nest and sat on it then left it. I placed it back in with mother and she took it under her. Same thing tonight only now she is not taking it under her. We have a heat lamp on it but are unsure what to do at this point. Should we continue to try getting mother to take it?
They separating them. It looks like the mother is willing to keep taking care of them.

· Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
796 Posts
YES! try the mother first. Since the male seems to not want this clutch, I would separate him and see if the mother will take over. That will be more stress on her to feed the chicks but it doesn't sound like the dad ( for what ever reason ) wants to help! I mention separating him because he COULD push one of those eggs out and crack it! HOPEFULLY the mother will step up and save the day here! Keep us posted.

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.