Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a cockatiel about a month ago. I didn't bother her much for about a week so she can get settled into her new home. After the first week, I spent about 10 minutes a day sitting next to her cage and talking to her. She didn't excessively squawk at all, only every now and then.
After the first 3-4 weeks, I was able to get her to eat millet that I was holding in her cage, and even got her to take some sunflower seeds from between my fingers, but she wouldn't go near my hand if I didn't have any treats. I felt like I was making progress with slowly getting her to trust me.

Recently, she suddenly has been excessively squawking and making a sort of cooing sound. Also, she will occasionally bang her beak rapidly against her swing that she sits on. She also does this to the cage bars. She will only stop squawking if I'm sitting right in front of her cage, but she won't let me go anywhere near her, even if it's to feed her any treats. If I ignore her, she will squawk louder and louder, and will keep up the noise until 2-3 hours. At night, if I walk past her cage, she will raise her wings, hiss, and lunge in my direction, even if I'm not close at all.

I don't know why she has starting acting like this, and would like some suggestions as to what I can do.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

How old is your cockatiel? Do you let her out of the cage? Sounds like you got off to a great start with her and you just need to persevere, be patient, and go at her pace. This article might give you some helpful hints on how to approach her and work with her.

Do you cover her cage at night? The hissing and lunging is a normal reaction during the night, as they are light sleepers, don't have good night vision and can get spooked easily by things in the dark. Covering her cage at night and putting a dim night light near her cage should help keep her calm and comfortable while she sleeps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.