Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a whiteface cockatiel (male) which i have posted a picture of. The second picture shows both parents, white face is the male and the other bird is the female (is she a pied cockatiel ?). I know that besides my white face baby they had a pied baby, so the father would be a split pied ? Which mutation is the shown mother in the picture ?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are you sure that your baby is a male? The mom kinda looks cinnamon and I thought all opposite sex babies of cinnamon parents are cinnamon.
We have a whiteface cinnamon pied male and all his female chicks are cinnamon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the breeder explained to me why the baby was a boy by the look under his wings and he is already singing a lot. So assuming he is a boy he would be a white face split pied ? He has streaks in his beak. What would be a good pairing for this baby ?

·
Registered
342 Posts
That depends on what kind of babies you are hoping to get but I'd wait until he is more than a year to breed. Mine is nearly 3 and still struggling to parent. We have lost a lot of babies because of him.

He is wf cinnamon pied split to pearl
His mate is a normal grey pearl split to pied
So all our female babies are cinnamon and our males grey but we have so far had (who survived to feathering) normal grey male, cinnamon female, pearled male, cinnamon pearl female and a cinnamon pied female.

If you want pied babies pair him a split to pied female.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I will try to find a split white face female since that is the type of mutation I like the most. Yes I will wait plenty before I tru to pair him

·
Registered
342 Posts
Then this is our only survivor this year and they won't be breeding again next year as my male is terrible and my female lays way too many eggs. (32 so far since march)
Not a great pic but she is cinnamon pied split to pearl

Attachments

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Mom doesn't look cinnamon to me, but even if she is it doesn't matter. The inheritance rules for sex-linked mutations are complicated, but "opposite sex babies of cinnamon parents are cinnamon" isn't how it works :) A girl only has to get the cinnamon gene from her father to be cinnamon, and if dad is visual cinnamon then all of his daughters will be cinnamon. But it doesn't work the same way with cinnamon hens and their sons. A cinnamon mother is required to get a cinnamon son, but dad also has to give the cinnamon gene to the son. If dad doesn't have the cinnamon gene, the cinnamon mother won't be having any cinnamon sons.

There's a detailed explanation of how it works here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-sexlinked.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts