Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!
I have a couple of tiels that just started nesting for their second time.
The female is a WF Pearl and the male seemed like a Clear Pied at first because I can't see red in his eyes no matter how close I look or even if I direct some light at it. However, out of the 4 babies that were born in the first nesting, 1 of them is definetily a Lutino and the remaining 3 are normal greys. So the male can either be a Clear Pied split to Lutino or a Lutino with possible splits that change the eye color.
I need help confirming my assumptions about the male and identifying any extra mutations as well as possible splits on the couple.

It was my first time trying to hand-feed baby birds and because I took them out of the nest a bit too late (for my experienced self) I could only tame the 2 that were born latter.

The following ones are not mine but I might buy one of them because I suspect they are WF Pearl Pieds but for all I know they could just be WF Pearl males. Please help me identify them as well:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The father is a lutino split to pearl.

The yellow is a lutino pearl split to whiteface and she's a girl. The normal greys are split to pearl, whiteface, and lutino; they are male.

Edit: as for the birds you want to buy. The one on the left and right are whiteface cinnamon pearl pied. The one in the middle is cinnamon pearl pied. You cannot visually sex any of them.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
The father's eyes certainly do look light brown rather than red. Personally I suspect that he's lutino rather than clear pied though, because his yellow coloring is not very intense. Pied feathers tend to have more intense yellow than lutino feathers, but this is not a reliable indicator.

Here's a picture from the thread at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=28818

None of them are as dark as your bird's eyes, but I think it's possible that his eyes could fit in with this. I'm not convinced that there's really a strong connection between specific eye colors and specific mutations like it says in the picture. But the amber and grey-white eyes might look like your bird if they were a little darker. Your lutino chick looks like she's lutino pearl. She's definitely female since a lutino mother is required to get lutino boys. And girls can only get the pearl gene from their father not their mother, so dad must have the pearl gene in addition to lutino.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
There are two gorgeous whiteface pearl pieds in the last two pictures, but it's impossible to tell their sex based on the picture. The one at the back of the cage in the first picture looks like he is losing his pearls, so my best guess on that one is male.

Do you know anything about the parents? If mom was not pearl then any pearl babies have to be female. If mom was pearl they could be either male or female.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help.
I thought it was normal for Lutinos to have a bit more yellow until the first molt and even more as babies plus the first image result of searching "Lutino baby" on google didn't help either.
I agree the chick is definetily a Lutino Pearl and the father a Lutino split to Pearl! Which in this case means that male babies can also be Pearl and yet none of the 3 are (since they all look the same I only posted this one, the others only recently left the nest and still go inside it at night).
The first time I took a close look into the male Lutino's eyes they looked something between grey-white and light amber on the pic and now they seem rather similar to 'mature Lutino's' color. I'll try to take a better pic to analyse later just for curiosity's sake.
As for the the birds in the last pic, I actually haven't contacted the seller yet, I wanted to ask on the internet first about the visual mutations because I'm interested in WF Pearl Pieds and it should be more reliable that way.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
The lighting can make a big difference in how a lutino's eyes appear. Looking at the eyes in bright sunlight is usually the best way to see the color.

With a split-pearl dad and a pearl mom, you expect half the chicks of both sexes to be pearl. But that's just a statistical average and your actual results will vary, just like flipping a coin four times won't give you exactly two heads and two tails every time.

I have a pair that is expected to produce 50% whiteface babies. But none of their first 8 babies was whiteface. I had just decided that the male must not be split whiteface after all, when chick #9 proved that he was.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I agree with tielfan, definitely a lutino split pearl.

For future reference, please resize your pictures. It makes it really hard to read your thread otherwise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you keep one of those grey boys and later pair him with Mom, you will have some WF lutino daughters (pure white) and some pearl WF (either sex). They sure are very beatiful birds too. As for trying to get a WF pied pearl-you may want to buy that far left corner boy from the picture it looks like pearl going through his first molt and hopefully find a WF hen who is at least split to pied. Pied split is one of those more easily indentified ones,more info in this article http://www.justcockatiels.net/pied.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly.
I'm reluctant in selling the grey one because he's very tame and is already trying to whistle even though he's just 1.5 months old. I find it funny how easy it is to see he's split to WF even from a distance. You can clearly see the white at the back of the orange cheeks. If I pair him with a WF lutino (pearl or split to pearl) hen, there will be a great diversity of chicks.

Here's him with updated photos
Imgur(Imgur link because I don't know how to resize photos)

About the WF Cinnamon Pearl Pied ones I intend to buy, I contacted the seller a few days ago and all of the birds were already sold. Thankfully his birds are already nesting again and I will reserve one in about 3 weeks.
I'm expecting to get a WF Cinnamon Pearl Pied hen from him, though if it was a male it would be better. He knows about genetics and doesn't know the chicks sexes so I'm assuming their mother is Pearl and the father is at least split to Pearl.

Meanwhile I've been trying to find a good partner for that future WF Cinnamon Pearl Pied hen or a couple that will give me a Pearl Pied male split to Cinnamon and WF for her.

What do you think of this Cinnamon Pearl Pied and the WF Pied?
Imgur
I'm hoping the Cinnamon one might be split to WF or the WF Pied might be Pearl or split to Pearl (he kinda looks like a Pearl male going through his first or second molt to me or those might be the 'ghosting pearl' which some split to Pearl have).
All info from the seller is not reliable since he did not breed them himself and knows nothing about their parents.

One last thing, thank you for the help, suggestions and link. I've recently read all about Pearls and Pieds on justcockatiels.net but I still don't feel confident enough to identify the birds by myself.
Sorry for the long text and sorry for bothering you guys with a request again.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
ID mutations

I know very little about mutations (I am amazed by the knowledge of those who posted in reply!), but your birds are gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
How old is the wf pearl pied? I would say he's split pearl because pied can cause the pearls to remain a LOT longer (my pearl male was only split to pied and kept his pearls for over two years.) Both are very gorgeous birds, it just depends on what you are wanting to really breed for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you Janalee! I agree they are all beautiful.
Truth be told there's some mutation combinations that I like more than others and not so long ago I thought natural greys were almost kinda ugly when compared to those.
Nope. I love my grey just as much as I love his Lutino Pearl sister.
Having raised them I literally learned to love the grey color on cockatiels and as I'm now no matter how they look like they are all beautiful birds each in their own way.

I didn't mention this earlier and has been bothering me, the Grey I posted here kinda has similar light feathers in the back of the head as its shows on this picture.
Its barely noticeable and its probably there because he's still young and developing his plumage, but then I noticed his 'wild' brother and its even more noticeable on him.
Here are some photos of him:
Imgur

What do you think? Are they split to pied as well? That would be unbelievably ironic.

@roxy
That one was probably born this year as are all others in that album. The seller simply bought them as babies and tamed them to sell at a higher price.
I considered the possibility of him being older because it really looks like a molted pearl to me but what you said makes total sense as I really had forgotten Pieds help retain the Pearls.

I love WF Pearl Pieds and regular Pearl Pieds (with or without cinnamon) so long the pied pattern is symmetrical and not too big with dark chest and ideally no dark face either.
Having messed with an online mutation calculator I concluded that for me the best possible couple would be either "1.0 natural ADM.pied opaline(pearl) /cinnamon blue(whiteface) x 0.1 natural ADM.pied cinnamon blue(whiteface) opaline(pearl)" or
or "1.0 natural ADM.pied cinnamon opaline(pearl) /blue(whiteface) x 0.1 natural ADM.pied blue(whiteface) opaline(pearl)". "1.0 natural ADM.pied opaline(pearl) /cinnamon blue(whiteface) x 0.1 natural ADM.pied blue(whiteface) opaline(pearl)" is also acceptable.

It will take a while and a little effort but that's not an issue.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts