Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
need help asap Marty is bleeding Updated

Tonight Marty flew off and hit the floor pretty hard(badly clipped wings) a few mins later we noticed drops of blood near him an saw it was coming from near his vent, it was maybe 4 drops total. It looked like it stopped for an hour but now it started up again. This time we took him out and had to towel him to get a better look. we used a little syringe and a swab to see where it was coming from and we think its coming from his vent. the vet won't be able to see him till the morning what do we do? We are soon very worried about him and don't know what we can do to make sure he will be ok. He is not hand tame so it is really hard to find out where it is coming from. Just our luck we had to take our budgie in yesterday luckily the ver was very good.

update
So we took him to the vet this morning and it was all good news. He had only broken a blood feather just under his vent. He is totally fine. We are so glad it wasn't something serious. It's really weird though because he is acting more loving and not trying to bite us. He was bowing down for our hands and never tried to bite. He is also back to talking and flirting with the girls lol. What a scare though

·
Registered
786 Posts
Saying a little prayer that Marty will be OK...best of luck to you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. We are soo worried about him, he is come long ways since we got him last month. He is our family and we are so stressed, we will be checking on him thought the night.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh no that's horrible. I hope Marty's okay, I can't offer any advice as I haven't had that happen with any of my 'tiels

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
If it's internal bleeding, he really needs to see an emergency vet right away. If you aren't able to, I really hope Marty will be okay until you can see a vet. Maybe put him in a smaller travel cage if you have one and line the bottom of it with white paper so you can see the blood clearly. Keep him warm and comfortable. Sending my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I really hope the little guy will be ok. Sending good thoughts your way

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have been watching him through the night it seems the bleeding has stopped we put white paper down to help see better. He is acting fine right now. We have an hour before he can go in. It was such a long sleepless night. I'm so mad at the person who clipped his wings so short I think he did it on purpose because he didn't like Marty very much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So glad to hear Marty is ok!!!

As far as the acting more loving, this is probably the first time he's seen you in the role of being super nervous and caring for him non-stop so he has a different view of you now.
My bird also gets super cuddly after something he doesn't like (toe clippings ect.) they're just like little children that they want to be comforted after something bad.
I hope he keeps up the loves for you!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm glad he is ok now! What a horrible place for a blood feather to break. >.<
I'm glad it wasn't a bad injury and that it is all taken care of now. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tonight Marty flew off and hit the floor pretty hard(badly clipped wings) a few mins later we noticed drops of blood near him an saw it was coming from near his vent, it was maybe 4 drops total. It looked like it stopped for an hour but now it started up again. This time we took him out and had to towel him to get a better look. we used a little syringe and a swab to see where it was coming from and we think its coming from his vent. the vet won't be able to see him till the morning what do we do? We are soon very worried about him and don't know what we can do to make sure he will be ok. He is not hand tame so it is really hard to find out where it is coming from. Just our luck we had to take our budgie in yesterday luckily the ver was very good.

update
So we took him to the vet this morning and it was all good news. He had only broken a blood feather just under his vent. He is totally fine. We are so glad it wasn't something serious. It's really weird though because he is acting more loving and not trying to bite us. He was bowing down for our hands and never tried to bite. He is also back to talking and flirting with the girls lol. What a scare though
That is wonderful news! What a little sweetie he is. Love those birdie lovies!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad he is ok! :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Phew, what a relief!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts