Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I joined this forum a few years ago and have only posted a few times, but I lurk quite often.

I had a cockatiel about 30 years ago and mated her with a friend’s male and had two chicks from that union which I co-parented with my bird (I returned my friend’s bird to him when the chicks were a couple of weeks old). I had done as much research as I could back then before the internet and now know that I was extremely blessed by how well everything had gone.

Now I have a pair of tiels that are 5 years, 8 months old (my hen, Candy Cane) and Larry Bird is almost 5-1/2 years old. They decided this year to start mating and I set them up in April in my rarely used dining room by a picture window. Their first clutch produced one fertile egg, which hatched, but that poor baby didn’t survive her first 24 hours. I don’t know what went wrong and neither did a breeder to whom I showed the photos. The chick passed away on June 2nd. I took down the box, cleaned their cage, put the cage in it’s ‘regular’ place in the living room and was thinking I might try again next year, but they had other ideas.

I found a broken egg on the bottom grate of their cage on June 11th! So I set them up again and she laid four more eggs. Out of those, only one was fertile and it hatched this past Tuesday, making this chick five days old today. I am keeping a very close eye on her and her parents and she is in the nest with two dummy eggs and either one or both parents. Mom and dad are doing an amazing job and I’m hoping they will see her through all the way to weaning (though I have a brooder set up and running, just in case). Today I’m very concerned about lil “Peep’s” crop. The color is the same as it’s been, but now it seems to have some air in it and I’m questioning myself as to whether the color is really okay, or am I convincing myself it’s been okay because of the parents’ diet - hard boiled or scrambled egg usually with chopped up kale and/or arugula (gets removed from cage after about 40 minutes), moist Harrison’s high potency pellets, pastina with grated carrots, and sometimes cooked peas, brown rice, whole wheat toast smeared on alternate days with red palm oil and coconut oil, sprouted seeds (their favorites right now are whole wheat berries and Kat grass), and cooked oatmeal. I also feed them chop and cooked Goldenfeast Bean Supreme, but since laying the eggs they’re not eating these much. These are all changed every 2 hours throughout the day and not all of these are given every day. They get dried pellets during the night (to prevent spoilage).

So do you think the crop appears to have yeast? Didn’t notice gas/air until a couple of hours ago, but did notice “Peep” seems to have her beak open when awaiting to be fed by dad. Or do you think her crop is okay and the color is from the diet?

I will take photos to the breeder/store from which I purchased Candy and my budgie, Piccolo, tomorrow, but I’m hoping to get some peace of mind and maybe be able to sleep tonight. Thanks in advance.

Sorry this is so long. I’ve included photos from about an hour ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add (sorry to make this a bit longer) that lil “Peeps” has been gaining weight and pooping (often in my hand when I do a ‘chick check’). Today, at 6:15, with a seemingly full crop (when I took the photos), she weighed in at 25g.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
It's hard to be sure from a photo, but it sounds like everything is OK. I'm not seeing big swollen veins in the photos and that's good. I'm surprised at how uniform the color of the crop contents is, because green vegetables and other dark foods show up as dark spots in the crop.

Try to avoid holding the baby on its back as you're doing in the last picture. The crop is VERY full, and this position isn't normal for cockatiel chicks so there's a risk of aspiration. There are some parrot species where it's normal for babies to lie on their backs (like budgies and conures), but cockatiel chicks don't do it. Even when the face is plonked down in the nest bedding, the chicks are always on their feet in an upright position, and they struggle to get back on their feet immediately if they get knocked over. If you ever see a cockatiel chick lying on its side or back, it means that something is very wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your response @tielfan. I did bring the photos to the somewhat local store to show the woman who works there and breeds tiels and she calmed me down. Of course I had my phone/pics and she could enlarge them and said “Peeps” looked fine. (So relieved!).

Yes, part of the reason I was concerned was because of the uniform color and I convinced myself that it was yeast. Most of the food is the same color except for the greens, and beets in the chop!

Yes, I only turned her back a bit to get better lighting/look at her crop. Normally she’s always upright or leaning forward (though as of yesterday she seems to have more head control and has it raised more often than in previous days. :-D). As a matter of fact her father knocked her over earlier today as he was rushing out of the neat box to attack me when I changed the bath water. Luckily, as soon as he was out I took a peek and saw her struggling to get to her feet and immediately helped her out. (I also cleaned out some dirty aspen - that chick can really poop!! Lol)

Thanks again so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts