Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello evry one,
i always want it a pet a had a cat once than a dog but life is short for some species and left me but now i couldn't get another dog bcs i moved to the city so i ve done some researches on bird and was fascinated by cockatiels so i got one two weeks a go.
let me tell u abt my country first, there ain't much birds knowledge or respect a bird is more like a cage pet to see it or enjoy its voice as a result the shop owner doesn't know the exact age he told me between 1 and 2 years old and he s a Latino male (but i doubt) cz he started to hiss and bite but he occasionally screams and untamed but raised in a cage.
anw in my first day i clipped him introduced him to his new cage and cuz i like to play guitar and sing a lot a did it in his presence and occasionally putting my hands in the cage and b4 i left him i tried to perch him and he did it i was so exited and tried to feed him with a spoon but for the first 2 days he didnt eat but on the third day not only he ate but he perched on my finger and ate one time from my hand untill the 4th day he was sick his right eye barely opened i took him to the vet he told me to put on his eyes some creme i tried he refused the i grab him and did it cz i was scarred he might die this were he started biting my hand each time i approached him and hissing me but i still let him out of his cage and still petting him even tho he s not even tring to stop biting me but he s eating from the spoon even if my hand is too near i red abt givving him a treat for positive perspective but here no one have millet spray and he dsnt like apple... :/
so this is my story any help is appreciated and thank you all in advence :)

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
All cockatiels, regardless of sex will scream, hiss and bite. Cocks and hens do it. And your mutation, a lutino (Not Latino ;)) is one of the mutations where you cannot sex it visually, you would need to wait for it to show sex related behaviors or you could DNA sex it, but that may not an option for you, in your case. And I'm sorry to hear about his eye pain, it does sound infected, so applications may be unpleasant since he doesn't know what your intentions are. Just keep him on his medicine I guess. It's all you can do. And feeding him a good diet of vegetables and fruit if you can (Tiels don't normally like fruit, it could be why he is reluctant to try apple). It may take some time, but be sure to find some good fresh food to keep up his health :)

Here's a link to safe foods to feed
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=536

And here's a link to toxic foods to avoid
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=70

He's a doll :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nop i cant dna test it but the vet tiold me that his red cheeks a dars red the femal have lighter reddish ones and for the food i bought the most expensive seed mixture so he can receive all the gd nutriment. i have red a lot about his particular vocal abilities tho the let stor told me its a chance out of 1000 so i dnt know when i can finally get to that day where i arrive home he sits on my shoulder while i play music and he sings with me btw im making him listing to the song wind of change/scorpions maybe he can start whistling the first part..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I'm not aware of the cheek patch coloration determining sex thing, but if you can get him into a good, bright lighting, can you see any barring on the underside his tail?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dnt know i will try it.
i wish i can find millet spray i hv seen its effect on birds its like drugs to them lol but i hv red about low sugar cheerios does this work too??

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Cheerios are ok, but don't give too many out because while they don't contain much sugar, they do have some sodium

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! Cute baby. It sounds like you've made excellent progress in taming. Keep persevering and you will get him sitting on you! :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He may not be ready yet...a lot of tiels fly as soon as they get out of the cage. Let him do it and then once he's calmed down, he'll probably let you pick him up. Do you have sunflower seeds? You can use those for taming treats. If you do, remove them from his seed mix so he only gets them from you.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Cockatiels typically aren't fruit eaters. You should have more luck with vegetables. Your tiel is still getting used to you and his new home. It can takes weeks and even months for a tiel to settle in. You just have to be patient and try to work at your tiel's pace. Sudden movements, loud noises, etc. can all scare a tiel. And one thing I constantly tell my fiancé is not to reach down over our tiel's head. To them, it's like a predator swooping down on them. If you look at the top of each forum section there is a sticky library. They each contain info on nutrition, taming, etc. which you may find helpful. Just be patient with your little guy. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have i any chance that 1 day my tiel will actually call me when i come home or at least when i call him will he one day come to me? sit on my shoulder seek my attention or my affection? today he ate from my hand but when he got full of it he hissed and hited me with his beak okey i wont give up on him but reading all of your lovely story with ur buddies how cute they are and caring got me thinking abt my wild coka will it happen some day?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Definitely don't rush things. The fact that he'll eat from your hand is a great sign though. Try and take it from there. Don't give him any reason to not want to come to you and always use positive reinforcement. Parrots don't understand punishment or dominance. Any attempts to punish him will only be bad for both of you.

Good luck, keep us updated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts