Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum and am wondering if you can help me. 1st, a short history... A few weeks ago I rescued a young Pied male on the side of the path I run in in the park near where I live. He looked scared and was trembling as people just passed him by! Anyway, I talked to him as soothingly as I could, and I put out a finger near him. As soon as I did he climbed onto my finger, worked his way up to the front of my shirt, and buried his head in my neck! I got him home, fed him ( he was hungry and very thirsty!). I've posted around with no responses which is fine by me as "Stratford" is a fun little guy! That is until yesterday. Last night, I was finishing up some work on my computer when Stratford started chittering away like he was being attacked by a clowder of cats! I tried to talk to him but then he started doing something (I thought) weird! He started attacking attacking himself!!! He began biting at his feets and the top of his wings!!! I kept talking to him until he calmed down. He seemed fine today until about 1-1/2hrs ago when it happened again in the same way!!! Does this sound like something serious or is it just young tiel messing around??? any thoughts???

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
if hes from outside he may have mites so hes going nuts trying to itch them. you will have to bring him to the vet for the proper treatment and diagnosis as it could be something else instead of mites

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply!

I thought about the possibility of mites too! But what seemed to cross off tat idea was (a) its been a few weeks now. Wouldn't mites have made themselves known before now??? Also, this odd behaviour only happens at night, just before bedtime. If it were mites wouldn't he be scratching away throughout the day???

As I write this he's nestled quite peacefully on my shoulder watching my fingers type away on this note. He seems happy right now. No scratching.

Thanks again for your response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts