Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have two cockatiels and I'd like to upgrade their cage. Currently they are in this model (or one very similar, the dimensions seem about right):

http://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Large...=1451172894&sr=1-1&keywords=giantex+bird+cage

I am thinking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Flyline-Parro...d=1451172962&sr=1-2&keywords=corner+bird+cage

Does anyone have experience with this model? The good things about their current cage are that it's solid and secure, but there's not a lot of horizontal bars for them to climb. I'd also like something a little bigger...

Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a little leery about buying off brand cages due to potential zinc and metal poisoning if the wrong materials are used. If you know someone that personally has used that brand then okay but otherwise I would be constantly worried about zinc.

Do you just want big parrot type cage? I think they would have more room in flight cage which sell for the same price and are from known brands. It is up to you.

I had a tiel in small parrot cage similar to that a long time ago. The top play perch never got used. I also found placing perches and toys in a way that the bowls wouldn't get pooped in giant pain in the rear. The cleaning though was easy with that type of cage, my tiel just didn't really use the full cage.

ETA - I just noticed the bar spacing is 3/4. It is too wide anyway. You need 5/8 spacing at most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I have had the same experience with the birds not using the bottom half of the cage they're currently in. I'm not great with math but the second cage I linked to does seem like it would provide more space even if they continued to just hang out at the top half of the cage. Also like the idea of a corner cage since I keep their cage in a corner anyway.

I am mainly concerned with size as I want as big an indoor cage as possible, but also want security. I've seen flight cages with doors/food stations that look like the bird could easily lift the little "gate" and get out when I'm not home. I've also only had the cage with the "seed skirt" so I'm not sure how much "messier" the ones without one are.

The bar spacing on the potential new cage I linked to is 1/4"... Which should be ideal for cockatiels if I'm not mistaken?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Second cage I'm guessing isn't measured accurately anyway because I have never seen a cage with 1/4 bar spacing even finches cages use 3/8 spacing. Also that price doesn't include shipping which is $85. If you are going to spend in the $250-300 range anyway why not get a really nice well known brand.

Also if you do buy from amazon there is a browser add on called Camel Camel Camel that tracks prices and tells you what it has sold for in the past. You can set up alerts for it to email you when the price drops to a certain level (which you set). I have used it and it really works you just have to be patient though. Amazon constantly raises and lowers prices on items and sometimes it seems like there is no real rhyme or reason. You pretty much have to be ready to buy once it alerts you because in 24 hours the price very well have hiked upwards again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't want to be a negative nellie yet again but the Kaytee Play n Learn cage is too small it doesn't even meet minimum requirements for one cockatiel. One cockatiel should have at least a 20x20x24 cages with no more then 5/8 spacing.

The most popular cages that exceed and provide a spacious home for cockatiels are the Prevue F040, Prevue F050, A&E flight cage and, HQ Flight cage. There are plenty of acceptable cages though as long as you meet but preferably exceed the the minimum requirements. Make sure the manufacturer you choose has an established reputation for brand quality. You don't have to choose top quality but you need to be careful to avoid possible zinc and metal poisoning which may be an issue if you choose a manufacturer that cuts corners by cheaping out on materials in the manufacturing process.

As always please clean a brand new cage with vinegar to help mitigate the risk of New Cage Syndrome aka metal poisoning. Even if you buy from a safe manufacturer there is no guarantee the cage wasn't introduced to something toxic in the shipping process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts