Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make a bird collar for my boy, but am not sure how wide the neck hole should be. It should be wide enough for him to feel comfortable, but of course he shouldn't be able to pull it out (he did with a hair band within a few seconds...) What would you recommend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Aren't they usually Velcro? Like the hole is pretty small and it's wrapped around the neck and velcroed together? So like, the hole is too small for the head to get through at all, because it never goes over the head? I mean, I'm just going off of the ones I've seen. I've never used one before. Their necks are pretty skinny, it wouldn't need to be a very large hole as long as there's room for movement and swallowing and stuff.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you, tasheanne. I have never used or even seen one (in real life), but using velcro makes sense and I even have some at home...
I am surprised soft collars are not available anywhere in Australia, but at the end of the day they shouldn't be too difficult to make.
I think bibs also use velcro? I have no kids or younger siblings and never had one in my hands, but I think they do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like a dog collar?
I saw a cute cat collar bell at the store and I was just thinking it'd look really cute on Miley bird... :love:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like a dog collar?
I saw a cute cat collar bell at the store and I was just thinking it'd look really cute on Miley bird... :love:
Actually I need one because he plucks his feathers. He is just a mild plucker and likes to constantly entertain himself. It would be a soft collar, not a leather or plastic one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thank you, tasheanne. I have never used or even seen one (in real life), but using velcro makes sense and I even have some at home...
I am surprised soft collars are not available anywhere in Australia, but at the end of the day they shouldn't be too difficult to make.
I think bibs also use velcro? I have no kids or younger siblings and never had one in my hands, but I think they do.
Yeah, bibs do. Only thing I'd be worried about is the noise of the Velcro freaking him out right next to his head so you'll have to be careful of that. Maybe use a couple of real small bits of it so it doesn't makes a huge rip noise when undone?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, bibs do. Only thing I'd be worried about is the noise of the Velcro freaking him out right next to his head so you'll have to be careful of that. Maybe use a couple of real small bits of it so it doesn't makes a huge rip noise when undone?
Yes, good idea. :)
I just bought some fabric this morning. They had some yellow cotton at a really good price and I thought it would be nice and probably better than felt when it is hot. And the yellow is perfect for his face. :)
It is new, but I am going to wash it anyway as I don't know who touched it and my boy is definitely going to put it in his mouth!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am so disappointed. I think I have done a good job with the collar and really like it, but he doesn't agree and won't let me put it around his neck. I EXPECTED some difficulties, but I have now given up. I have also tried with a towel, but can't do everything by myself (I also have very small hands), so I will wait until the next appointment with the vet in October-November, as she had said. :(

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oh my god that is NOT the direction I thought this thread was going when I read the title. I'm glad your little guy doesn't have a hole in his neck. o_O

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
Birds don't normally wear collars because it's dangerous. Even back in the old days of birdkeeping they put the ring around the leg not the neck (which is also dangerous but not as potentially deadly). I don't recommend this at all. Nowadays the preferred restraint method for parrots is a harness or flight suit, which are much less likely to cause injury or death.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts