Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I trimmed Bennie's nails. I always hate doing that, because it's stressful for both of us. But that's something I feel I can do, rather than take him to the vet. Well, I tried to do the job as quickly, gently and carefully as possible, but I managed to clip one nail a little too much. It started to bleed a little, leaving tiny spots of blood on my finger when I got him back on my hand. He jumped up on my shoulder and wouldn't let me get my hand near him to look at his toe more closely. It was his bed-time so I just put him back in his cage. I could see his toe was okay, so i covered him for the night. That night, I had a dream that there was blood all over my shoulder! I woke with a start, thankful it was just a dream. In the morning, Bennie was fine, his normal perky self. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
It's easy to do, I did that to JoJo the first time I clipped his nails. I use a baby fingernail clipper, because its very small and sharp. I try to take just the very tip off, and luckily it helps prevent overclipping. Glad to hear he is fine now :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sometimes I have nightmares like that too :eek: I'm glad Bennie is okay :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The vet once did that to my boy. He screamed so loud I was in panic outside hearing him and they would not let me go in!!!!! I was soooo upset. Then after at least 15 minutes the "vet" came out and said "She is fine". She???? With a super yellow face and super red cheeks?
Don't blame yourself. It just happens, although I think vets should know how to do it.
I am glad the nightmare was just a nightmare and that Bennie is fine! :)

J

·
0 Posts
My tiel's nails were EXTREMELY long and overgrown and sharp as needles (just had them drilled down couple days ago).

I always take him to the bird shop where I got him from and the lady there has this scary looking/sounding drill and drills my tiel's nails very nicely and SUPER short! They never bleed at alll when she does it which is shocking considering how insanely short she drills his nails to!! he also does not seem to mind he starts singing right after she unwraps him from the towel grip. His nails grow super fast in less than 2 weeks they will already be much longer. I MUCH prefer to have his nails drilled smooth... not cut with clippers!

Check out pic... he has no nails now lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nail trim

I use a very small bird nail clipper. Yes, I do try to take just the very tip, but it is hard holding a struggling 'tile in one hand and clipping with the other. When I take him to the vet, I hold him in a towel and she clips his nails. It is easier for 2 people, but I prefer not to take him to the vet other than his yearly exam unless needed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
*Ominous voice* A painful regret... A bloodstained nightmare... This is NAIL TRIMMING 2... Every bird owner's fears come true in this action packed tale of effort, heroics, and sacrifice! (the bird's nail)

J

·
0 Posts
*Ominous voice* A painful regret... A bloodstained nightmare... This is NAIL TRIMMING 2... Every bird owner's fears come true in this action packed tale of effort, heroics, and sacrifice! (the bird's nail)
LOL... my tiel asked me to make fresh batch of popcorn for movie night... he's ready for the thriller.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Definitely a two person job, my mother holds Bikbok while I clip his claws. But once he caught and held in place, I find it easy.
Cutting my guinea pigs nails is much harder, he wriggles so much and I accidentally clipped too short and made him bleed once.
I am terrified of clipping beakys too short, the book we have said that cockatiels can bleed to death. Luckily all the guinea practice means I am quite good at being able to clip shortish without getting the live part. He is also good and tends to stay still and not be too angry with the clipping.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I take my 'Baby' Girl to the local bird store. AWESOME PLACE. They sell everything """"handfed"""" from Lories (EVEN BLACK LORIES) to Macaws to Electucs To everything that is on earth all the way to the Epic Hyacinth Macaw! Anyways they do wings and nails (MY 'TIEL HAS FULL FLIGHT) free for being regular there. Anyways two people do it and i watch and it comes perfect every time. BUT don't feel bad about it because i couldn't imagine doing my precious Chicken's (my cockatiel's name) nails myself, i get too nervous. Good thing Bennie was OK!

~Skye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts