Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've been a lurker here for a while but I have a question that I'm freaking out about because I just read a thread about a cockatiel dying because of nail polish.

I just finished painting my nails and they were sticky dry. My sister brought my tiel (who normally lives downstairs) to my room and I cuddled and kissed him, handling him with my recently painted nails.

I had the window cracked open in my room and the fan on, and I told my sister to take him out after 5 minutes of playing with him because I JUST remembered I'd painted my nails.

Will he be okay?! He's an 11 year old male tiel, he recently had a throat infection (bacteria and yeast, he's on antibiotics right now) and he's got a black spot on his beak that's been there for a while. He also tends to fluff himself up when he's sitting on me or on top of his cage. I know being fluffed up at the bottom of the cage means sickness, but he hasn't been going to the bottom unless he wants to pick up some food he dropped down there. He's on a mixed pellet and seed diet right now, working on transitioning him to a pellet diet (adopted him from another family, he ate only seeds with them, and I've had him for little over a month now)

I'm just so scared right now!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

He should be fine. Because of the fan and the window there was enough ventilation he won't have an issue. I handled my tiels all the time after painting my nails, no issues.

As for the diet, the one you have him on now is perfect. An all pellet diet is just as bad as an all seed diet. Everything in moderation is key. Hope to see you around the forum more often!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts