Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would i be able to clip my Tiels nails? I have specific scissors for clipping nails for my cat and i can clearly see the quick, but many people say to let an avian vet do it so i am wondering if there are any other precautions i need to take. I will also soon be buying a calcium perch.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
nail clipping

I have clipped Bennie's nails, but he hates it so I have taken him to the vet to do it, too. You have to wrap the bird in a towel or other soft cloth and have his feet available. If it's close to time for Bennie's annual visit, I let the vet do it. Then Bennie blames her! When I do it, he'll sulk for a while and give me the "stink eye" over his shoulder. My vet does something cute: after she's done and has released Bennie to me, she "scolds" the towel and tosses it in a corner. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have clipped Bennie's nails, but he hates it so I have taken him to the vet to do it, too. You have to wrap the bird in a towel or other soft cloth and have his feet available. If it's close to time for Bennie's annual visit, I let the vet do it. Then Bennie blames her! When I do it, he'll sulk for a while and give me the "stink eye" over his shoulder. My vet does something cute: after she's done and has released Bennie to me, she "scolds" the towel and tosses it in a corner. :)
Thats awesome,i completly forgot about the towel method. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually with my cockatiel of 20 years (now gone) I used to wrap her in a towel and when I let her out of it she was all disheveled and nutsy.

Started clipping her nails without the towel so she was able to see everything going on and she struggled a lot less. When it was done she was much calmer and more like herself.

Haven't needed to clip the new arrival yet (12 days)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.