Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Nail Clipping

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  RowdyTiel 
#1 ·
I'm curious how often everyone has their cockatiel's nails clipped, whether you take him some place to have it done like me, or do it yourself?

I used to take Frank every few months, but lately I notice his nails starting to get caught in shirts and other fabrics after about 2 months. He's had some foot problems over the years, including permanently losing a nail after a mishap with my computer chair. So the last thing I want is him to get his nail caught in something, and rip off another one of his nails.

I've been taking him about every 2 months lately. Figure it's better to be safe than sorry. I wondered how that compared to other owners. Thanks!

#2 ·
I do my own using a baby nail clipper. I just take off the tip of it. I usually only do one or two at a time. I do them as they need them, every two or three months, doing just the longest ones.

#3 ·
I do my own nails and I usually just do it when they start to look long or when they start scratching me, whichever comes first. I just use regular nail clippers and I always keep blood stop powder at the ready just in case!

#4 ·
I should add that I also do it when they are getting caught in things too. I would say depending on the bird it's every 6-8 weeks on average.

#7 ·
I wouldnt pay $15 for a nail trim wow thats so expensive my petshop does it free it shouldn't cost that much I wouldnt pay that.I dont clip my birds nails Rocko does scratch me sometimes but his nails are never long and I did bring him to the petshop to get them cut before because of the scratching and his nail bled because he has long quicks.

#11 ·
Just fyi, long quicks are a sign that a bird's nails aren't being trimmed often enough and can cause serious problems if the bird's nail gets caught in something and breaks.

I also personally wouldn't have my birds' nails done at a pet store unless I knew there were some serious infection control measures being taken with the equipment.

#9 ·
I'll be honest - I've never trimmed Murray's nails. Sure they can get a little scratchy occasionally, but she is out all day on lots of different surfaces and they tend to keep themselves. She's fully flighted but she loves to climb (curtains, furniture, me) and the tips break off before they get too long. That's just her, I guess...

#14 ·
Yeah but its only clipping a few nails most people can do that themselves I think its expensive most vets even do it free or a way lower price than $15 I mean think about it add another $5 and you could get a Budgie/Parakeet out of that see that is expensive just to get a few nails clipped.Even dogs nails is cheaper.And I really dont care what anybody else thinks this is just my opinion and I know im right too.

#15 ·
I have never heard of a vet clipping nails for free. I'm sure somewhere out there is a vet's office that will do it for free, but it's certainly not true of most.

The fact that proper care for birds--even small ones--is expensive is an important thing to consider. It's true that care for most small birds is more than it would be for a dog, and possibly more than it would be to get another bird. That's why so many small birds get neglected or even abandoned, because owners have this attitude of "I'm not going to pay this for my bird when I could just buy another bird." It's very important that people understand many years of expensive care are what they're committing to with a bird.

#16 ·
Yeah well some vets do it free and definitely a lower price you would have to be crazy to spend that amount on a little nail clipping I would only spend any amount if money if my bird was injured or had to see a vet.I wouldnt even spend $15 to get their wings clipped.

#17 ·
I also clip my own nails, I have 10 birds and it could add up fast if I took them to get clipped. I use cat claw clippers (bought for and used only for my birds) I have a styptic pencil just in case and only take of the sharp tip. My parrotlet chews his nails and keeps them nicely trim himself. (Seems to be a parrotlet thing)

#18 ·
I have never clipped either of my birds nails. I have wrapped around sandpaper on their pearches in their cage - also their outside cage stand and it's trimmed them down nicely without blunting them. They are not sharp anymore - like little needles. Ringo can swing around my finger gripping and no harm to me at all.

Those bird sandpaper things are fantastic and the birds love them! They like having a grip on where they are.

#21 ·
Sandpaper covered perches can actually potentially cause cuts and sores on your bird's feet and bumblefoot.

The covers on the sandpaper-covered bird perches also tend to be made of insoluble grit, a substance which commonly damages birds’ crops causing infections and in severe cases, internal bleeding. This grit doesn't break down in the crop or gizzard, instead it grinds against the sides of their gizzard and harms them internally when travelling through the digestive system. Insoluble grit tends to be small bits of silica, is not easily digestible, which increases the odds of the grit building up creating a compaction or blockage in the digestive system.

You may consider ditching the sandpaper ones and getting a cement one - just make sure it's not the bird's main perch. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.