Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts
I have never clipped either of my birds nails. I have wrapped around sandpaper on their pearches in their cage - also their outside cage stand and it's trimmed them down nicely without blunting them. They are not sharp anymore - like little needles. Ringo can swing around my finger gripping and no harm to me at all.

Those bird sandpaper things are fantastic and the birds love them! They like having a grip on where they are.
Sandpaper covered perches can actually potentially cause cuts and sores on your bird's feet and bumblefoot.

The covers on the sandpaper-covered bird perches also tend to be made of insoluble grit, a substance which commonly damages birds’ crops causing infections and in severe cases, internal bleeding. This grit doesn't break down in the crop or gizzard, instead it grinds against the sides of their gizzard and harms them internally when travelling through the digestive system. Insoluble grit tends to be small bits of silica, is not easily digestible, which increases the odds of the grit building up creating a compaction or blockage in the digestive system.

You may consider ditching the sandpaper ones and getting a cement one - just make sure it's not the bird's main perch. :)

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.