Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new tiel last night, and his nails are fairly overgrown. I know how to clip nails, my question is when should I do it?

Is it something which could wait days or weeks until he's comfortable, or does it need to be done right away?

As I said, he's brand spanking new to the household, so clearly isn't comfortable yet. He's hand skittish but doesn't seem aggressive. I haven't pushed the issue though. I'd like to avoid forcing contact without his permission, but I also don't want his feet getting messed up if he takes awhile to warm up.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you know how, try clipping but use towel method and get help from someone and make sure he doesn't see you.. if he get free time outside the cage its actually dangerous for him he cold get stock somewhere and loose the nail or worse.. the nails are black and kind of tricky to find blood vessels because the color try using a phone flashlight and first examine the nails.. try do it quick and without mistake and after that offer him treat.. when i got Leo got trough this.. good luck

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

If you are not confident in clipping his nails, vets normally do them for free or for a very small fee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I did it because he kept getting snagged, and he absolutely did not care at all haha
He's a very chill bird apparently.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's great! It's very rare to have a 'tiel that doesn't mind getting a manicure. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts