Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday marked the one week anniversary of little Howl coming to live with me! :D It's been an amazing week of fun, gender confusion, and love!

At first he was very shy, and would simply stand in one spot and look around. Now he bee-bops around and seems a lot more comfortable! Still isn't very vocal, but he chirps sometimes, especially while eating. He's very gentle, and doesn't try to hurt me. LOVES chewing on just about anything within reach, especially my fingernails! When I try to get him to chew on the cuttlebone, he'd rather chew on the metal clip. He has taken to picking it up and flinging it around. Like a kid who would rather play with the box than the toy! :D I've tried feeding him broccoli and carrots, but he's just not into the 'veggie thing' yet. Earlier I gave him some dried food, and after seeing me eat some, he took to it!
Within three days, he was already preening my face. He is an absolute love bug! When I make kissy sounds, he kisses my lips. :) I am stunned by how quickly he's taken to me!
We're still a bit confused on if he's a boy or girl... I thought girl for a while, but after observing his wing undersides I'm thinking boy! Still waiting on definite male behavior though... :confused: Looking for a good company to do a DNA test through if something doesn't come up soon.
If he is a boy, I'd love to stick with the name Howl, from the book and movie Howl's Moving Castle. Like the character, he's very clean! In the movie adaptation, Howl went from blond to black hair, and the bird is bright yellow and grey. Plus, in the movie Howl turns into a bird-like creature. I think it suits him. ^-^
He seems interested in mirrors! Not sure if it'd be a good idea to put one in his cage, but he likes to tilt his head different ways to watch the 'other bird' do it too. ;)
We're still trying to find a bigger cage, and get him weaned to a healthier diet. I think the pellets are too hard for him right now, so tomorrow I'll try soaking some in apple juice.

Overall, this little guy is AWESOME! He is such a sweetie pie, and it would be hard to find another bird so well natured. This past week has been a dream, and the first of many, many more to come! :D

Here's some pics from earlier tonight!

http://twitter.yfrog.com/nvy1lusj?f=1
http://twitter.yfrog.com/klwndopj

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
he is adorable :D congrats on your first week with him!

Howl's Moving Castle was an awesome movie, and I think the name is great (boy or girl! ;) ) Suppose if a girl though, you could name her Sophie lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! :D

Yeah, I'd actually considered Sophie for a girl before I found out he is likely a boy! Whichever gender he is, though, I'll love him/her all the same. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
So cute! :love:

That is the perfect name, it really does suit him. Hs crest really looks like flowing blonde hair against his face. I loved that movie, I'll have to watch it again some time.

It's absolutely gorgeous when they give you kisses. Munchkin loves to lean her beak on my lips while I rub her head. Your little guy sounds like a real cuddle bug already. :love:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's such a great movie! Howl is one of the best movie guys, and the name has a strong aura. All the ladies will just fawn over my baby! lol

Aww, that's so sweet!!
I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find such a sweet bird, because I knew I wanted one I could have as a companion. I missed having that in Becca, and it's like this little guy knew all about that and took to me right away! He was probably born after she passed, so I figure Becca picked him and said "I've got a lonely girl I want you to take care of. You're quirky, so you'll fit in!" :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts