Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a HUGE problem with training my tiel; he won't eat anything except for pellets and seed, and he'll only eat those from a bowl, never by hand. How can I get him to eat treats? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've come down into 2 answers as I "was" having the same issues let's say as you. One is that you are not bonded fully yet ( might have some trust issues still) this is the book answer. The second that I prefer is the birds personality not all birds (goes for all pets) are meant to be trained as they don't care about it much. I've stopped trying and just left my bird be happy doing whatever she pleases after lots of trial and error days.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
It's typically a bird's favorite treat! Pretty much all birds will eat millet. You can get it at any pet store, but be sure to get plain millet. For some reason, some brands spray artificial colors and flavors onto it, so just avoid that stuff

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I'll run down to the pet store today and check it out. What exactly is millet spray? Because I'm looking for a treat that I can use to lure him to do tricks, or a treat that I can give him after he does a trick (i.e. luring him to come when called, or treating him after he shakes my hand).

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Millet spray is basically a collection of seeds bunched together. It usually comes in a bag, so you can just look for that. You'll know it when you see it. And for some reason, birds think it's about a 1000 times more delicious on the spray than just individual seeds, so it's excellent for training because it's easy to hold

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's excellent for training because it's easy to hold
So if I were treating him for something, when he did his trick, I would just offer it to him while holding it and he would nibble it off?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I offered him the millet spray, and it was like MAGIC!! Thank you SOOO much, he loves it! We can finally get on with training! Before, I could only teach him tricks where my touching him somewhere would encourage the behavior, and couldn't reward him properly. Maybe now we can move on to hand signals and commands instead of me moving my arm up and down to get him to flap :lol:

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Honestly, millet is the best and easiest treat! So glad it worked for you! :D

Sunflower seeds are a good one too but not as easy for them to eat as the millet spray.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could you throw a pic of this millet spray thingy? I've tried millet with mine but she doesn't even go near it.. No idea if it was "millet spray" or just millet raw on its pure form as it was a stick again. Some things are hard to find in my country for a weird reason lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nope we don't have pet smart but that's what I've got also and she doesn't even go near it hahah :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts