Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! I used to be more active on this forum but i forgot my login info, so i'm on a new account. Just to preface, i recently got a new cockatiel (gundham) about a month or so ago to interact with my other tiel Oscar. now, I know I should have kept him quarantined for a bit longer, but they kept chirping for each other so I caved and let them meet. They still live in different rooms and cages for most of the day though. both have been completely healthy and fine up until now.

My older bird, Oscar is usually very energetic and likes to get into mischief, but the last few days he hasnt had the same "spark". He's stopped greeting me whenever i walk in the door, and his chirps are more quiet and seldom. He's been more puffy/sleepy too, but he can still get from perch to perch and climb around if he has to. He's still eating his food too.

I gave him some electrolytes, and cleaned out his cage. Unfortunately, all vets near me are closed until tomorrow and emergency vets rarely know what to do for birds. Is there anything else I should do until I can make an appointment?

P.s. - I doubt this is related, but one of my chickens died yesterday. It was most likely a heart attack, as she was very small and getting kinda old, but I just thought I'd note it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you notice a lot of feathers when you cleaned the cage? Could it maybe be a molt cycle? One of my three tiels is just finishing a particularly tough molt right now. He's lost a lot of big feathers and was a bit lethargic as well. I always give them extra vitamins during that time. Electrolytes sounds like a good idea.
How is the new bird doing? Is he showing any signs of illness?
I totally understand the position you are in. I've been there many times with my birds. I really hope it's nothing serious. Please update us!

btw - sorry to hear about your chicken

1 - 2 of 2 Posts