Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to try to get my tiel to "like" his bigger cage because he has always hated it and I figured since I'm getting him a brother soon (another tiel) that they would both prefer the larger cage. He much prefers his tiny 17 inch travel cage... he is NEVER in his cage unless I leave the house but is he insane or what to not like his mansion?

I wish the bigger cage was in WHITE color as it's more cheerful... the darker colored bars is depressing.... I don't like the bigger cage either (very sad since I paid $400 for it) I'm going to sell the larger cage in the next few months (if I can sell for decent price) and get a white colored one instead... I cannot stand how dark it is because of the darker bars :(

He started flying towards me as I shot this pic and the camera caught a snapshot of him flying in midair :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Juliet, that set up is wonderful! So full of toys :)
I think Rascal will find it a whole lot interesting when you get another bird. I would keep both cages, that way they can pick and choose where they want to go.
I, on the other hand, love black cages. I find it easier to see the birds in them, lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juliet, that set up is wonderful! So full of toys :)
I think Rascal will find it a whole lot interesting when you get another bird. I would keep both cages, that way they can pick and choose where they want to go.
I, on the other hand, love black cages. I find it easier to see the birds in them, lol.
He has LOTS more toys but he never plays with them! :( He only likes the chewable toys he can shred to pieces.

Rascal is very frightened by anything dark... when he sees people wearing a black or dark shirt he freaks out (he is terrified of anything dark). His white colored cage is so bright, cheerful and inviting whereas the darker cage is like a black depressing cave. I'm going to get that exact same cage but in white color.... and sell this cage to someone who prefers darker colored cages :) ... so I will then still have 2 cages but in white ;)

I'm excited to get Rascal a brother... I hope to have Coconut (this might be his brother's name...) within the next 2 weeks :D

I just hope I guess the new tiel's gender correctly so I don't have to DNA test ($30) over and over again LOL

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I know what you mean by not playing with toys. Candy doesn't like anything but a few wood pieces on a metal kabob stick:rolleyes: Tony is more adventurous and will try different things. He also loves to attack a loaf of bread sitting on the kitchen counter:mad:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Those are both beautiful cages! The bigger one would look fantastic in white! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I didn't see Rascal in the picture first, so he scared the crap out of me when I did. :p

I love the cages. Keep both as suggested, so they can have one home and one secret lair.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see Rascal in the picture first, so he scared the crap out of me when I did. :p

I love the cages. Keep both as suggested, so they can have one home and one secret lair.
LOL.... it's a cool shot of him flying straight at me ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are both beautiful cages! The bigger one would look fantastic in white! :)
I ordered it in white the other day so it will be here soon... I can't wait until it arrives.

The cage is HUGE and is a focal point right in the living room lol :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Both cages in white will be just perfect! Our Maxwell is just the same He gets frightened with black and / or brown cloths so I can perfectly understand how Rascal feels. Your cages are awsome! But then again If we are to have cockatiels, mught as well spoil them rotten! X x Hugs and kisses for both you and Rascal from Brazil Teresa

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Both cages in white will be just perfect! Our Maxwell is just the same He gets frightened with black and / or brown cloths so I can perfectly understand how Rascal feels. Your cages are awsome! But then again If we are to have cockatiels, mught as well spoil them rotten! X x Hugs and kisses for both you and Rascal from Brazil Teresa
I'm excited to get the new cage as it's on it's way (will take pics when it gets here and I assemble it).... I'm also very excited to hopefully get another tiel very soon. Seeing my tiel all by himself in that huge cage... it's sad! The bird shop told me they will have tiel babies this week... they said they will call me when they are ready but I'm going to call them this Wednesday morning and if they have baby tiels I'm going to go pick one out...

I hope to get Lil' Rascal a brother this week or next. I will name him Coconut! ;)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Our William-our first cockatiel started having health issues and plucking because he was on his own- a huge cage, toys, music when we were at work, lots of love and attention when we were at home, nothing seemed to work . We decided to get him a friend then . We rang his Vet and found out one friend of his was a reputable breeder so they had a few babies brother and sisters This was when our Syd came into all our lives Fortunately they got along well since the beginning and William became a totally different bird - happier more confident learned to climb and fly properly with Syd. These days theyre both adult birds but the friendship carries on, so I hope Rascal finds his bestest friend/ brother as well X x

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Our William-our first cockatiel started having health issues and plucking because he was on his own- a huge cage, toys, music when we were at work, lots of love and attention when we were at home, nothing seemed to work . We decided to get him a friend then . We rang his Vet and found out one friend of his was a reputable breeder so they had a few babies brother and sisters This was when our Syd came into all our lives Fortunately they got along well since the beginning and William became a totally different bird - happier more confident learned to climb and fly properly with Syd. These days theyre both adult birds but the friendship carries on, so I hope Rascal finds his bestest friend/ brother as well X x

I'm very excited to see how Rascal will be with his new brother :D
I've seen him around other birds and he really does come to life around them.... I think he will enjoy his feathered friend... if not... then at least he won't be bored arguing with his sibling :p

EDIT: I am soooo annoyed!!!!! I just called the bird and they said they only have 3 baby tiels left!!! (1 cinnamon and 2 greys). They were supposed to CALL ME when they had tiels available. Nobody called me!! Thank goodness I called them. I'm heading down there now with Rascal to hopefully pick out a baby tiel. They said it takes one week to get DNA results... I HOPE I pick a MALE (it will be a crapshoot since impossible to sex them when they are so young)... I cannot take tiel home until I get DNA results... I'm heading to the bird shop now! :)

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
One possible reason that he doesn't like the big cage is that there isn't a "protected" side. The view is wide open on all four sides, and for a small prey animal this means that he has to watch for danger on every side which is stressful. The smaller cage has the blinds to screen it on one side. He might like the bigger cage better if you change the location or cover it on one side to make it feel safer.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well said-Exactly! Is this the reason why people advise to have the cage by a wall and away from doors and corridors? To avoid frights? In any case -Good luck Juliet - Hope you find a lovely baby ! Please keep us posted X x Teresa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts