Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like only yesterday I took home our new baby bird, Martini. We got her in 2015 as a 1 year old female. She lived a full and happy life that was suddenly cut short this morning. It started on Saturday when she "just wasn't herself" Quiet, staying in her cage, nothing obvious, just that. Then yesterday I noticed her heavy breathing. She was sitting on her heated perch, puffed up, and breathing somewhat heavily. She did let me hold her for an hour last night. For that hour I scratched the back of her neck, and told her what a good girl she was. She seemed very happy. When I put her in her night cage, she "did the move" as we called it - a nightly tradition where I extend my arms and she extends her wings. That made me happy.

Woke up this morning, and moved her to her day cage. She didn't look good. Was breathing harder, a little wobbly. So I brought her to the vet. They took her in immediately and about 5 min later came out. She had died the moment the vet opened her cage. He didn't have a chance to treat her at all. He said w/o a necropsy there's really no way to know what happened.

To be honest, she was gone. Nothing would change that, and I didn't want her cut up. So I took her home and buried her at sea, at the same spot we put our beloved 20 year old cat, Jacy. They were surprising friends. Now they are together.

I'm devastated. 8 years old. I was expecting to have Martini for another 10 years. All my animals have outlived average life expectancies. My poor girl. This is how I will remember her. Our sweet muffin face.

african grey Head Bird Beak Window

Registered
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Martini girl. That is heartbreaking news. 馃様

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Martini girl. That is heartbreaking news. 馃様
Thank you. We donated her two cages and supplies to a wildlife recovery non-profit in the area. When we get another bird we'll start fresh with new stuff. Seeing her empty cage was too painful.

Registered
How kind of you to gift her things to a wildlife rescue. I do hope you get a bird someday to enjoy again. I have always taken the loss of my pets very hard, too. I don't know if I would have gotten my Percy if I didn't already have him when my Baby Boy died. The loss is terrible. Family, friends and anyone else can make it worse with their 'it's just a bird' comments. But overall I hope to remember the joy of the bird's companionship and not the sting of the loss so much...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts