Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, but I just needed people who would understand. We lost our sweet boy, Moe on Sunday morning. We've had him for over 25 years, over half my life he's been with us. He would have turned 26 in October. I'm struggling very badly with his death and I've been just crying non-stop. We tried everything we could when we realized he was sick and I still think maybe we could have done more. I wasn't ready for him to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is very hard to lose a friend. Especially after so many years together. You must have been a wonderful caretaker to have given him such a long, good life. Hopefully time will let him be a warm memory, instead of a sadness. But for now it just will be hard. Best wishes to you, and goodbye, Moe. You are very missed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am SO sorry to hear of your loss. While my wife and I currently have six tiels, our oldest is just a little over two years old. In that time, we have lost two and it was REALLY hard for both of us. I couldn't imagine having a sweet bird that long and having him pass away. As the lady in the above post stated, you must have taken VERY good care of him and I'm sure he was a very happy tiel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, Moe's Mama! You aren't alone in your grief. We are all here. I know it's really intense when you have only one, and 26 years is a long, long time. You and Moe shared a ton of love. I think it's pretty usual to feel you could have done more. Over my 82-year life, I've had many pets--dogs, cats, a skunk, and birds. Without fail I sometimes look back at times I would have done some things differently, better I tell myself. But I think my little pets would not have blamed me for anything. So, I try hard to remember all the happy times and how much we loved one another. Just like with the people we've loved and lost. Now that I've written this, I realize it sounds pretty trite. I hope you know it comes from a heart that understands how it hurts, and I really hope it helps you to get through this worst of all time. In the morning when they wake up, I will tell my two little girl birds about Moe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your kind words. This week has been difficult, but I have been trying to think of all the good times. It's hard for me to look at the many pictures and videos we have (we have videos from our old camcorder days on 8mm film!). My daughter is 15 and had grown very close to Moe as well, so it's been difficult for her. We have a bird rescue just a few miles from us, so we donated his cage and other stuff so that birds in need will have a nice home. We do plan on getting another bird, but we don't know when. It's a little too soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss. Moe lived a long and happy life with you. It must be so hard to lose a beloved companion after such a long time together.
Tell your daughter I’m sorry — I’m 14 myself and I totally feel for her.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss... I, too, lost a longtime tiel that I had 27+ years (half my life) and that was 5 years ago and I miss my Baby Boy very much. It's easy to replay in our minds how things might have gone differently if we only did this or that because our loved one has left us -- but try not to do that and just realize that 25 years is a very long life for your boy and know that he was grateful for all your loving care for all those years.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Moe's Mama

Oh I am so sorry! I certainly can understand why you have been crying. It is heartbreaking to lose them. And 25 years! You must have been wonderful bird parents! I lost my last 'tiel to cancer after 13 years. It broke my heart! I know what you mean about it being "too soon" to get another bird. I knew I had to; my apartment was just way too lonely and quiet without her cheerful presence. She was a lutino and one time when I got up the courage to go to a local bird store, I caught sight of a lutino hen in a cage. I choked up and had to leave. It was a very nice, clean, well-kept store, but sadly they went out of business. But I did find a breeder not too far away. There I purchases my little "Bennie." You will always remember "Moe" but another cockatiel will help ease the pain. Hugs to you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts