Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post here, but I have been doing a lot of reading. What a great forum. My question is about my 14 month old tiel Odin, and the addition of a new tiel.
When I finally introduced the new tiel (Loki) to Odin, they seemed to really be ok. Loki followed Odin around on the floor and all was well. Until Odin decided that he didn't want me around Loki.
He attacked me numerous times to the point where I had to put him away and only have baby Loki out.
Odin, since we got him in December has been nothing but kind, sweet, loving and never mean. He drew blood on my arm, hand and ear. I am so disturbed by this! Clearly he feels he is protecting the new tiel, but how the heck will I enjoy these two if Odin is making shreddies out of me?
Thank you in advance.
Chantal
Odin & Loki

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Chantal,

I posted on the other thread you commented on, but I'll reply here as well.

What genders are your two birds? Odin I would assume is a boy, but how about Loki?

It might be worth keeping your birds in separate cages for a while and giving them each some alone time with you to avoid this issue. Sounds like Odin is possibly getting very hormonal and defensive of his new friend, and this may or may not go away over time.

Hopefully some other people here have more suggestions - I haven't owned more than one tiel at once for some years now, but mine lived in separate cages when I did and only spent a little time together out the cage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I don't know the gender of the new tiel. They are housed separately, and Odin will sit on top of Loki's cage and attack me when I go near. It has only been a few days, so if I can manage to redirect Odin from attacking I think it will resolve. It is just to do that that will be tricky

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my male Ringo. Got him first, he was great. Funny, kind, chatty, easily trained. Then got Lucy. The two really didn't like each other much at first. Funny thing is they still don't 'adore' each other. They have been together for around 4 months now and JUST this last week my male has taken on 'puffy' agro behaviour. He puffs his wings out and just lashes out. I'm guessing he is hormonal and acting like a 13 year old teenager. I'm guessing he want's some 'action' from her but I think she's too young and she's really not interested so he's sexually frustrated.

I hope he grows out of it. I have another cage and I might start putting her in that and seperating them. I REALLY don't want them mating and he should not be nipping me or my partner.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok so Ringo has got SO nasty I can't have him out for long. Lucy is a sweetheart so she gets more out of cage time but I'm sick of Ringo biting my cheek or fingers or what ever he can bite down on. He's just so agro. He's stopped talking (and he knew a lot of words and expressions) and just chirps now...and is aggressive. I don't want to resent him so best leaving him in his cage and hope he gets over this behaviour. This is not him. He was quirky and fun and smart and loved doing tricks and singing and talking. Now he's like a little monster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts