Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know most cockatiels only learn a few phrases in their lives, if they don't just sing, so I really lucked out when I adopted Kirby, because he has an incredible vocabulary for a tiel, and this morning he even called out to me "come back!" when I left the room, which is a new one! Because he's a birdie butt, he never talks when I want him to, so I don't have a video (if I ever do catch him on film I will definitely post it), but here's a list of the phrases that I've been able to discern from his chatter (the brackets means that sometimes he adds those words in and sometimes he doesn't):

"Yes"
"No"
"{Your a} good boy {Kirby}"
"Pretty {bird/boy}"
"You want to come out" (he'd been working on that for a long time; it just sounded like odd chirping until about a week ago)
"Come back"
"Step up"
"Good morning"
"How are you" (this one's his favorite phrase)
"Mom"
"{I} love you"
"Hang on"

The only problem he has is that he seems to be focusing more on learning new phrases than perfecting the ones he's already learned, so it's really difficult to understand what he's saying when he does say them :p. I thought his vocab would be all filled up by now, so I was very surprised when he yelled at me to come back when I left him on his perch and left the room!

Anyways, just thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Holy Heck that's a big vocabulary! Too bad you can't catch him in the act and film him, LOL.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Such a clever boy! :D

I read somewhere that cockatiels are capable of learning up to 50 different words. Not sure how accurate that statement is but man, they sure are smart little guys! :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I love when they use their words and phrases in context, such as "come back". My mom's little guy will call out 'see you in a bit!' when someone leaves the room.

·
Registered
128 Posts
wow.Lovely!!Kirby knows a lot:) Cutie won't learn anything except his/Her natural chirp:(
Hope to see a video of him soon!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hope to see a video of him soon!!
I hope so too! Naturally, being a bird, he's never going to do it when I want him to, lol. Maybe I should just plug my camera in or something and film him 24/7 until I get it :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm going to try a method (I can never remember what it's called) to try to teach him to talk on command. I'm going to have a kid help me, since birds like mimicking kid's voices, and I'm going to tell her the cue and have her respond with one of Kirby's phrases, and then I'll reward her and pretend to give her millet and head scratches with Kirby watching on his perch. Because he's going to want my attention and the millet, the idea is that he'll pick up the trick by trying to do what the kid is doing. If I can get him to talk on cue, then I can get a video.

Thanks for all the compliments! We're trying not to let it all get to Kirby's head, lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts