Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why are you being so rough with that poor bird?
You could just look it up online, without having to force the bird through that!
That makes me so sad to se.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Your 'tiel has the pied gene, so visual sexing is difficult. How old is he/she? Has he/she molted before and lost any of the pearling? A DNA test would be your best bet at determining your 'tiels sex, to be honest.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I can't tell you as a certainty because of the pied mutation, but most likely the bird is female based on the sex-linked mutation it carries. Females are twice as likely to be visual for the pearl mutation than males. If sexing by behavior isn't your speed go for the DNA test.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Exactly - Dont waste time and/ or traumatize the bird Thats what the DNA test it there for X x Teresa
Some members don't know what mutations are. For some birds, those pictures may have been helpful for sexing but he wasn't so fortunate with the pied mutation for this case.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Also, pictures can be very deceiving so don't assume someone is being rough when they might not be. I handle my birds like this quite a lot, because I like to have them used to having their wings stretched out and being held like that in case a vet needs to do it as it just makes the whole vet experience much easier if they're used to it. It's not rough and it doesn't hurt them. They don't LIKE it but it's certainly not hurting them.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Gorgeous bird, but as others have said it can't be visually sexed because the pied mutation messes up the usual visual differences between the sexes. The handling didn't look rough at all to me. This is a safe and normal way to handle birds when you need to examine them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
looks like you handled the bird as gentle as possible to me. and agree being a pearl pied it's pretty difficult to sex as male pieds can keep their pearls for years. DNA is the quickest and easiest way to find out the gender

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can make a guess at gender based on behavior. A very vocal bird, singing, whistling, talking etc is likely to be a boy, beak banging, heart wings and head bobbing are all male behaviors. A quiet birds, who only gives a few chirps or contact calls is more likely to be a girl... However this is not a perfect way to tell by any means, there are always quiet males and loud vocal girls...lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can make a guess at gender based on behavior. A very vocal bird, singing, whistling, talking etc is likely to be a boy, beak banging, heart wings and head bobbing are all male behaviors. A quiet birds, who only gives a few chirps or contact calls is more likely to be a girl... However this is not a perfect way to tell by any means, there are always quiet males and loud vocal girls...lol
Number one way to tell is right there, the behaviors, those codes and behaviors are built in them, so besides a test, those are the key clues to look for!

~Skye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts