Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
First time here and first time owner. I have had my new cockatiel for one week now. She Is 4 1/2 months old female, She can be a little voictres. She won't let me near her yet. How long does it take for her to get confident enough to to come out of the cage? :wf cinnamon: I can't wait 馃榾

Registered
Welcome! Kiku is such a cute name, and I'm sure it matches your tiel perfectly!

When I adopted my Nimbus 3 months ago, he was 3 years old and had been living happily with someone else for most of his life, so things went kinda differently than they probably will for you. I'm not sure about time, but I do remember that he wouldn't come out of the cage on his own until quite a while after he came out with me, and he wouldn't come out with me until he learned to eat out of my hand, and he wouldn't eat out of my hand until he was used to seeing me sitting by his cage.

I think spending a lot of time sitting by the cage talking to her can help. I read Nimbus bedtime stories, and I still do; I think it's kinda calming for them sometimes. Maybe you can also try just leaving your hand around the opening of the cage with some seeds in it and waiting a while to see if she comes to eat or at least takes an interest.

That's all I can think of right now from my slightly limited experience. Anyhow, good luck!

Registered
Hello and welcome from Joey and me! :)

Bravery and being adventurous varies from tiel to tiel. Sitting by the cage, reading to her, talking to her, or sometimes just being near, will get her used to you being close. You can slowly work toward getting her used to your hand being near her by adjusting toys and little things that will let her see you are safe.

To get Joey to come out, we just left the cage door open and put a couple toys on top of the cage. Curiosity got the best of him after a bit and he went up to investigate. He never has been one to step up, despite being nearly 2 1/2, so he comes out on his own, and rides his food dish perch to go back in. I am still working on getting him to step up, but it all has to be on their terms to build and keep trust.

Registered
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum from Milo and I! Patience is the best word for gaining trust. It's so exciting when they decide to step up or come to you, worth the wait for sure :)

Registered
Welcome aboard the glorious TC!

I'm a new bird myself so I'll tell you patience as Paula said and agree on TamaMoo's "leave the door open" comment.

Just be calm around Kiku without introducing him to a zillion of new toys etc especially if it's too early or moving the cage here and there all the time to get the bird confused and probably curious but scared also ( those are my mistakes and I've learned the hard way lol ). Just clean the cage while talking or whistling and don't force the fellow out or on your hand for any reason.

It's really easy to go backwards on taming and lose trust than gain it...

Kana is 2.5 years old and I have her for a month ( untamed ) I'm still making progress with her when she is inside her cage, but whenever she gets out of the cage on her own it's like having a totally different Kana.

In-cage she's like "this is mine and stay out I don't want any hands or you even breathing near me"... Out of cage she's like "oh wheres that fluffy mohawk I need a hair cuddle and some straws to play pretty pleeeease" ... lol

Kiku will eventually come on her own to you or out of the cage when she realizes that you mean no harm and she is super curious on what you are doing while "ignoring" her, but that might take some time ( or not ) depending on her attitude and spirit.

P.S. if she gets out of the cage don't force her back in let her take her time to check the area and she will probably "ask" herself to get her back inside if she's afraid of something... that's what Kana did at least and that's how I was able to make her step up as she was more "afraid" of something else [ no idea what ] than me probably and cried for help and now she only goes inside to eat/sleep/drink or play with a toy..

Hope it helps as I'm still struggling with her as well to find a perfect balance for learning/taming/playing etc etc

Registered
So best thing right now, like mentioned. She her you and kind, loving. Talk to her everyday in a soft calm voice. Tell her about your day, or what you want to do, how much you love her, etc. And do that in sessions of about 15 minutes or more 4 times a day or more. Give her Millet out of your hand, don't overwhelm her but show her that you want to be her new best friend.

Welcome and Love from me and Chicken!

~Skye

1 - 7 of 7 Posts