Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, four to be exact, we bought ourselves a new cockatiel and named her Luna. We are so incredibly excited, but also worried. She has refused to eat ever since she arrived, and we can only give our best guesses as to why. My personal opinion is that, since she's in a new place and doesn't understand it much, she has to get used to it. But after four days, we're getting scared for her.

Here are some facts about Luna:
She's about 10 months old, and has had almost no human interaction interaction in the store we bought her from to ensure that she would properly attach to her owners.

She has fresh food and water in her cage, but it is lower to the ground. At the moment, its hard to avoid this, since the little bowls the cage came with can only go that low.

She had this fit of movement tonight, which is still sort of going on as a write this, where she is climbing all over the cage and chirping every now and then. Her crest is almost completely down.

She also does this odd thing where she spreads her wings out a little bit, then shakes them. Not vigorously, they just quiver. She also quickly scatters along her perch.

I took videos but couldn't upload them. I really hope you guys can help us understand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, I'm in full on shock but also joy. As much as a minute after I posted this thread, she found her food bowl and started eating. I'm not sure whether she just didn't know it existed, or whether she got so hungry to the point that her body finally told her that she needs to eat, but shes eating, and I'm ecstatic.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Birds are usually frightened in a new home, and they have to let their guard down for a moment to stick their head in a food cup. I'm glad that she finally started eating, but going without food for several days isn't good for them. If you ever get another new bird, hanging up a piece of millet spray in the cage will encourage them to eat sooner, and hanging up some leafy greens will give them a source of moisture. They don't have to put their head down to eat millet spray, so they can nibble and watch for danger at the same time. If you clip it next to a high perch they won't have to go down to the bottom of the cage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A few days ago, four to be exact, we bought ourselves a new cockatiel and named her Luna. We are so incredibly excited, but also worried. She has refused to eat ever since she arrived, and we can only give our best guesses as to why. My personal opinion is that, since she's in a new place and doesn't understand it much, she has to get used to it. But after four days, we're getting scared for her.

Here are some facts about Luna:
She's about 10 months old, and has had almost no human interaction interaction in the store we bought her from to ensure that she would properly attach to her owners.

She has fresh food and water in her cage, but it is lower to the ground. At the moment, its hard to avoid this, since the little bowls the cage came with can only go that low.

She had this fit of movement tonight, which is still sort of going on as a write this, where she is climbing all over the cage and chirping every now and then. Her crest is almost completely down.

She also does this odd thing where she spreads her wings out a little bit, then shakes them. Not vigorously, they just quiver. She also quickly scatters along her perch.

I took videos but couldn't upload them. I really hope you guys can help us understand.
I'm very glad to hear she is eating and you are getting her some millet and toys. I hope you will be very happy with your new family member. I don't understand why the store would not give her human interaction. Young tiels' need attention from humans and can get depressed when ignored. Cockatiels are extremely social creatures, they enjoy living in large flocks (human and/or avian). They can attach to multiple people. They don't need to be ignored to bond with a new family in a forever home. When they are ignored they can develop difficulty attaching and not want to leave their cages. I hope this is not the case with her and she bonds well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm very glad to hear she is eating and you are getting her some millet and toys. I hope you will be very happy with your new family member. I don't understand why the store would not give her human interaction. Young tiels' need attention from humans and can get depressed when ignored. Cockatiels are extremely social creatures, they enjoy living in large flocks (human and/or avian). They can attach to multiple people. They don't need to be ignored to bond with a new family in a forever home. When they are ignored they can develop difficulty attaching and not want to leave their cages. I hope this is not the case with her and she bonds well.
Yeah, I honestly thought it seemed a little strange that they ignored her, and there have been negative effects of it. She always tries to get away from our hands even if they're on the outside of the cage, so we've been trying to build up her trust in us by using a wooden spoon to mimic how our hands would act (all shaky and awkward). She doesn't run away from it when we put the spoon right next to her, but rarely wants to step up on it ( we have had some success though). I want to try to do anything I can to show her that we love her and want whats best for her, even if it takes some time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts