Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two cockatiels today. I was planning to get only get one. When I got to the ladies house she had a second tiel with very little feathers. She asked if I wanted to take him too, she said they would be lonely with out each other. She said that the feathers fell out because he is old but she did not know how old. Both seems to be plucking feathers out. So I am wondering if there might be more to her story. What other reason would cause my tiels feathers to fall out? What could I try to get them to grow back. I know she said that he eats mostly people food and not bird food. Is that healthy? I do not plan to keep that up. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
EEEEKK!!
The feathers are NOT falling out because he is old! Whatever she told you seems to be a lie.
The bird could be sick, have mites, etc. Where is the bird bald?

The feathers may grow back with the right TLC, but repetitive plucking may result in permanent bald patches.
I would not think feeding just human foods is healthy at all. Did she state what kinds of food it has been eating?
They should have a balanced diet of seeds, pellets, greens, and other various human snacks.

Is it possible you can bring them to the vet?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Think you posted this in the wrong forum. :)

That really doesn't sound good! Could you get us a picture of this bird, or at least explain where he is bald and how much? Have you seen them plucking their feathers out? I don't think these birds were treated very well one way or another, it sounds like they were either so bored or frustrated that they plucked their feathers or/and they are ill or have mites...

What type of human food were they on, do you know? Some food we eat they can eat, but they should have bird pellets and seed moreso, and vegetables.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wrong place to post this.

Umm, I would suggest you take the tiels back to the lady immediately. Something here isn't right.....NO WAY should you ever feed your birds people food (at least not the fatty/sugary kind).....And she convinced you to take the other one, too? Something in my mind tells me that it is not because the bird is old....Yeah, take the tiels back to the lady, or have her pay to have them see a vet and get and treatment they'd need...This doesn't sound right at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts