Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All he does is chase my female Lucy and tweet. He had amazing vocals, could do all types of tricks and now it's like he's forgotten all of them. Will he get over this randy stage and remember what I've taught him or he is just going to forget them forever? Also he's got more aggresive and will not be apart from her. She really doesn't want him near her and if he gets too close she bites him but that doesn't stop him from stalking her.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Have you tried longer nights? Some members say that 14 hours of darkness calms down the hormones.

It must be very frustrating for you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm selfish too, so I get it! I have had parakeets with mated and had babies, and the males that were tame to start with did come back around after breeding and they were sweet, but I don't know enough about cockatiels to know how it works with them. I am sure other members here do

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried longer nights? Some members say that 14 hours of darkness calms down the hormones.

It must be very frustrating for you.
Thanks for that. Yes they get a very decent 14 to 15 hours covered. I put them to 'bed' around 5.30pm and usually uncover them around 10am the next day - sometimes later.

I've found if I put her to bed earlier and keep him out an extra hour he starts to slightly chat. I've figured out he's just trying to impress her and as she doesn't talk and just chirps he is trying to 'be on her level'. Just a guess of course.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's getting worse - he's even biting at air! I've had bigger parrots before so gentle and sweet - having Ringo has really surprised me. Never had to experience this biting aggressive thing before with ANY parrot I've owned. I've even hand raised previous parrots but only had one. Now I have two and Ringo is being a real little bastard. He bites me, my partner and his partner. Should I seperate him? He was so awesome on his own - but I thought giving him a partner would be nicer but now he's a total ars...ehole. I'm resenting him which I do not want to do. But I'm scared he'll bite my ear or fingers or face or anything. Lucy is sweet as pie, but Ringo is one nasty bugger!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts