Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying of guilt right now....my female cockatiel passed away last night in my arms. She was fine yesterday in the morning...but throughout the day I noticed her getting extremely sleepy. No hard of breathing, or discharge..just sleepy. Closer to the evening..she started detiorating...and being late at night there are no emergency avian vet... I couldn't do anything but hold her in my arms trying to keep her awake..she just couldn't hold herself anymore..and they she started breathing hard...I just held her and said "good girl just rest". Then she passed. I have no idea what happened...she was overweight at one point but I changed her diet and lost a decent amount and was at a healthy weight. She did see an avian vet last year the only thing they said was to loose weight..other than that she was fine.

She was very affectionate and loved to be out and about..passed week I have been extremely busy so didn't take her out as much...but coincidentally yesterday I had her out for most of the day..same night she dies...

I have 3 males left. She was my only female. They don't share a cage...she shares a cage with one gentle male. And as I write this..they keep calling for her.

I'm so sad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Mimi13,
I'm truly sorry this happened to your cockatiel. It is so much harder when a pet suddenly becomes sick and there is no veterinarian to turn to who can figure out what is wrong and potentially save your pet. Not knowing what happened can make it so much harder. Remember whatever happened to her was not your fault. You loved her and she obviously loved you the same in trusting you to take her out and to be affectionate with you. Trust like that isn't easy to achieve(out of 5 birds we only have 2 that are this way). It really says a lot about the care you have provided your birds, that you had earned that trust with her.

We had one of our parakeets die recently, and we still have no idea why. I suspect it was diet related. We had no vet to take her to because our area was a covid hotspot at the time and most clinics were closed even for humans. Its very hard to find avian vets most days, even more so for emergencies. I understand what you went through last night with that. Its a horrible feeling.

I can imagine how hard it must be with listening to your other cockatiels looking for her. For us with our parakeet, listening to her mate mourning singing sad little tunes and then going through the entire grieving process himself, had us all in tears alongside with him. It was heartbreaking listening to him calling for her. In some ways knowing he felt as much if not worse about her passing helped us spend extra time with him and work through it together.

If you are able to I recommend spending as much time with your other cockatiels, especially the one who she was closest to, it really does help. They are going through it as well and it helps not to feel so alone in it.

Again, I am sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your kind words. Its been so hard on all of us. They are still calling out to her..especially the one that was caged with her. I will eventually find him another companion but not sure how soon is too soon. Sorry for your loss as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts