Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the bird since x-mass, we are trying to tame him but he does not let, when we open the cage he is hissing on us, but when I take him in hand he is calm, but he does not want to sit on finger or anything. :grey tiel:
We where told in the shop that he is like 6-7 months old,is it possible to tame him?

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
It's pretty common for tiels to be cage territorial. Have you tried just leaving the door of his cage open and letting him come out on his own? And since Christmas really isn't very long. It can take tiels months to adjust to a new home. Just be patient with him and try to take things at his pace. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tnk for the answer,Now I keep the cage door open, so I will wait till he makes the first move :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Leaving the cage door open has worked out well with Emma, my tiel. At first, she would just climb around the cage.

Something I found helpful in getting her to come was getting two Booda Comfy Perches. I bent them into half circles and put one just inside the door and one just outside the door. I call the one outside her door her "porch." She seemed much more comfortable having something to sit on just inside and just outside of the door. She often goes to sleep on her porch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts