Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

My first tiel, and a tragic story...

Tags
dogs
2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Belinda 
#1 · (Edited)

My first tiel was named Cheeko, and I really don't know how old he was when he met his horrible fate a year ago. First let me say that he was really only friend besides my parents when me and my wife had a separation. We grew close together, and for a time he really brightened my day. I even did a no no and let him eat mashed potatoes. If I didn't give him some he would glide (I maintained clipped wings) to me to get some off my plate. I had some troubles and had to move into a house with a couple of dogs. I thought nothing much of these dogs so I let Cheeko sit on his cage door as he loves to do and forgot to shut the door to the room. I come back and poor Cheeko had been torn to shreds. It was the most horrible thing I had to do when I had to pick up the piece of him. I vowed to never let any dog get near any pet bird, and I figure this story will remind you all to be careful if you have friends or family visit with there dogs. Your baby is probably no different than the wild birds they catch outside.

See less See more
#3 ·
i completely understand how you feel :( i had something similar happen to my budgie toby. took him out of the cage after checking the room for the cats and didnt see the one hiding under the couch and she ran out and attacked toby. we had to put him down :( accidents happen, but yes, theres those people who put them together and that scares me even more greatly as i seen it happen in front of my own very eyes!

rest in peace little guy...

#4 ·
Im very sorry for your loss. :( My moms always saying "oh the dog doesnt care", "The dog wont bother with the birds" and stories like yours are what I answer her with when she asks me to bring my birds out while the dog is there.

#9 ·
I know how you feel. Our budgie named Jake was killed last year. My parents home is quite rural, it's a horsey area and he was out the front hanging in his cage when a hawk came down and attacked him through the cage and tore his wing off. Mum wasnt home, and when she came back she saw him. He was still alive and hopping around but she was absolutely traumatised. We took him to the vet but he was 10 years old, too old to be put under anaesthetic and he wasn't a tame bird, he just sang and talked to us and hopped around so the stress of being handled so much was also an issue. We put him down and my mum was beside herself. He has been with us since I was little, so it was a very sad day. RIP cheeko :(

#11 · (Edited)
Dogs are scum.
woah thats going a little far dont ya think?:eek: Its terrible but it was an accident. Dogs were once predators and many breeds were bred for hunting small animals, it is in their nature. I think its hardly fair to say dogs are scum. Im not trying to start a fight or anything but I think you should watch what you say or you might offend some dog owners on here (like me for instance ;)).

#12 · (Edited)
If he thinks dogs are scum that's fine by me, he's entitled to his opinion. I love dogs but if a dog got my birds I wouldn't be thinking nice thoughts about it that's for sure.

So sorry you had to lose your Cheeko that way, it must have been horrific. :(

I wouldn't trust any dog with a bird... they can be the sweetest dog in the whole world but they might "test" how far they can go with a bird and that testing can easily turn into something else. I wouldn't want to think about any tiel having to go through that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.