Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and ..
I just brought home my first cockatiel Kiwi, 3 days ago...the woman said it is a boy and he is 3 months soon to be 4. I know it's hard to tell female from male at this age but I have been reading alot of info. First, he has a band on his left leg and I read that usually breeders will band on left for girl and right for male...so to be safe we named him Kiwi and I guess time will tell by behavior and colors. I was expecting to let him get use to us before trying to handle him, but that was not the case here... What I really love is how comfortable he is right from the box and seems to be right at home. I take him out about 3-4 times a day and he plays on my bed with a variety of things with different textures..mainly fake greenery and wood...but he has began to play this game where he will drag it to the side of the bed and drop it off.. repeating this with multiple items, I notice especially if I'm not paying attention to him...I'm very surprised at how comfortable he is from the first day of meeting us. He loves to be out but I am trying to teach him that he can come out on his own while the doors are open instead of me carrying him out. I just don't want him to get use to me carrying him out and him not being independent. He really loves my tango ringtone ...maybe we should call him Tango! Lol...Everytime he hears it his crest shoots straight up and he chirps....He is very affectionate and gives me kisses and loves massages on his head. I think he has a bit of separation anxiety because if he's out and thinks I'm leaving the room he comes running....or if he doesn't have an interest in leaving a room and I walk out and come back ..he's ready to go!...Here is a picture of him, can anyone tell if he's male or female? Thanx for reading! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and ..
I just brought home my first cockatiel Kiwi, 3 days ago...the woman said it is a boy and he is 3 months soon to be 4. I know it's hard to tell female from male at this age but I have been reading alot of info. First, he has a band on his left leg and I read that usually breeders will band on left for girl and right for male...so to be safe we named him Kiwi and I guess time will tell by behavior and colors. I was expecting to let him get use to us before trying to handle him, but that was not the case here... What I really love is how comfortable he is right from the box and seems to be right at home. I take him out about 3-4 times a day and he plays on my bed with a variety of things with different textures..mainly fake greenery and wood...but he has began to play this game where he will drag it to the side of the bed and drop it off.. repeating this with multiple items, I notice especially if I'm not paying attention to him...I'm very surprised at how comfortable he is from the first day of meeting us. He loves to be out but I am trying to teach him that he can come out on his own while the doors are open instead of me carrying him out. I just don't want him to get use to me carrying him out and him not being independent. He really loves my tango ringtone ...maybe we should call him Tango! Lol...Everytime he hears it his crest shoots straight up and he chirps....He is very affectionate and gives me kisses and loves massages on his head. I think he has a bit of separation anxiety because if he's out and thinks I'm leaving the room he comes running....or if he doesn't have an interest in leaving a room and I walk out and come back ..he's ready to go!...Here is a picture of him, can anyone tell if he's male or female? Thanx for reading! :) View attachment 93512
He looks exactly like me 3 month old! This is him:
7042643B-70EC-4F5D-A75B-A7C2C4AB61D9.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it’s a him because he’s starting to sing and although some females sing, I just have a really strong feeling he’s a boy. Does your cockatiel sing?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congratulations on your new cockatiel! He's a very fine looking young man! Here's a pic. of my Kiwi.......a little over 4 years old and "baby daddy" to eight chicks from two different wives!!!
Kiwi 5-23-21.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He looks exactly like me 3 month old! This is him: View attachment 93513
I’m pretty sure it’s a him because he’s starting to sing and although some females sing, I just have a really strong feeling he’s a boy. Does your cockatiel sing?
Adorable! Wow..singing already..did you do anything specific to get him to sing? Kiwi..No not yet! But I have been talking to him and playing music for him.....even put on other cockatiels singing and talking..he did come from a home where she was having to leave him alone alot hence why she rehomed him..and he is still young ..I read that they don't start making noises until about 6-9mths but that this was the time to start teaching. I have no clue what I'm doing and could use some tips.. but I did teach a parrot to speak British once. I notice he pays attention and clicks his mouth when I talk to him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adorable! Wow..singing already..did you do anything specific to get him to sing? Kiwi..No not yet! But I have been talking to him and playing music for him.....even put on other cockatiels singing and talking..he did come from a home where she was having to leave him alone alot hence why she rehomed him..and he is still young ..I read that they don't start making noises until about 6-9mths but that this was the time to start teaching. I have no clue what I'm doing and could use some tips.
Congratulations on your new cockatiel! He's a very fine looking young man! Here's a pic. of my Kiwi.......a little over 4 years old and "baby daddy" to eight chicks from two different wives!!! View attachment 93514
but I did teach a parrot to speak British once. I notice he pays attention and clicks his mouth when I talk to him.

Congratulations on your new cockatiel! He's a very fine looking young man! Here's a pic. of my Kiwi.......a little over 4 years old and "baby daddy" to eight chicks from two different wives!!! View attachment 93514
Yaaay another Kiwi! How lovely💕💕

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pear..Kiwi..we sound hungry lol
Lol all my cockatiels are named after fruits! I have 9: Mango ( mother hen), Kiwi ( papa bird), Banana (eldest daughter), Pineapple (second daughter), Grape (Eldest son), Pear (second son), Blueberry (third son), Corn (fourth son) and last but not least, BlackBerry (the youngest son)!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Adorable! Wow..singing already..did you do anything specific to get him to sing? Kiwi..No not yet! But I have been talking to him and playing music for him.....even put on other cockatiels singing and talking..he did come from a home where she was having to leave him alone alot hence why she rehomed him..and he is still young ..I read that they don't start making noises until about 6-9mths but that this was the time to start teaching. I have no clue what I'm doing and could use some tips.. but I did teach a parrot to speak British once. I notice he pays attention and clicks his mouth when I talk to him.
Yes, the papa bird made his own song and then the eldest son (Grape) copied him and then the second son (Pear) learned “If you’re happy and you know it” and then the third son (Blueberry) copied him and now the youngest son (BlackBerry) also knows how to sing “If you’re happy and you know it”!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and ..
I just brought home my first cockatiel Kiwi, 3 days ago...the woman said it is a boy and he is 3 months soon to be 4. I know it's hard to tell female from male at this age but I have been reading alot of info. First, he has a band on his left leg and I read that usually breeders will band on left for girl and right for male...so to be safe we named him Kiwi and I guess time will tell by behavior and colors. I was expecting to let him get use to us before trying to handle him, but that was not the case here... What I really love is how comfortable he is right from the box and seems to be right at home. I take him out about 3-4 times a day and he plays on my bed with a variety of things with different textures..mainly fake greenery and wood...but he has began to play this game where he will drag it to the side of the bed and drop it off.. repeating this with multiple items, I notice especially if I'm not paying attention to him...I'm very surprised at how comfortable he is from the first day of meeting us. He loves to be out but I am trying to teach him that he can come out on his own while the doors are open instead of me carrying him out. I just don't want him to get use to me carrying him out and him not being independent. He really loves my tango ringtone ...maybe we should call him Tango! Lol...Everytime he hears it his crest shoots straight up and he chirps....He is very affectionate and gives me kisses and loves massages on his head. I think he has a bit of separation anxiety because if he's out and thinks I'm leaving the room he comes running....or if he doesn't have an interest in leaving a room and I walk out and come back ..he's ready to go!...Here is a picture of him, can anyone tell if he's male or female? Thanx for reading! :) View attachment 93512
Doesnt he poop in the bed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesnt he poop in the bed?
Lol..I keep it covered with a old blanket just for him, when he is out I put it on the bed just in case but he's since explored to other areas and like his basket swing and perch by the window..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts