Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first cockatiel today and I am bonding with her already. I am assuming female at the moment due to the sex-linked mutation, but any additional input in gendering is welcome. She has yellow blotches (pearled?) on her wings if that helps. I gave her a rather unisex name, Lilo just in case.

She is being quarantined in the living room away from our two budgies, but she didn’t want to go in her cage at first. She preferred my finger, and liked her coconut swing outside the cage too. She’s a real sweetheart. Even S.O. who is new to birds is charmed by her as well. I’m very happy with our choice!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is a very attractive bird you have there. I can't make out the pearls in the pics but it looks like she may have some Lutino in her. That's one mutation I know little about but I see a lot of yellow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yes, I know she's lutino for starters, sorry. Or at least that's what I was told.

The bird store wasn't able or willing to tell me her parents' mutations however in helping me determine the gender. I didn't press the issue. I found they were knowledgeable there, but unfortunately not very friendly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Amy,

Unless your stuck out in the boonies like i am, it sounds like you might want to look elsewhere should you decide to get another tiel. There is simply no excuse for an un-friendly pet or bird store. If you have any in the area, maybe you could try a breeder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I mistakenly went to this bird store thinking it was the one I got my budgies at 6 years ago. I think I'll go back to that one for my next bird, or research a breeder in the area. Luckily there are a number of reputable sellers to choose from where I live, so many that I'm getting them mixed up apparently lol.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lilo

Welcome to Lilo and AmyJas! Glad you two are bonding so nicely! It's great she prefers your finger to her cage! When I first got Bennie, he didn't want to be with me; he'd just go in his cage. It just took him a little while to get used to me. Wishing you many happy times together!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Janalee! Yes I consider myself very lucky that she was already quite time when I got her. She is continuing to become attached to me. She's so happy to see me when I get home, and got upset yesterday when I tried to take her off my shoulder to run some errands! I've never experienced this level of attachment with budgies before, but again, I'm very grateful she's so sweet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my first cockatiel today and I am bonding with her already. I am assuming female at the moment due to the sex-linked mutation, but any additional input in gendering is welcome. She has yellow blotches (pearled?) on her wings if that helps. I gave her a rather unisex name, Lilo just in case.

She is being quarantined in the living room away from our two budgies, but she didn’t want to go in her cage at first. She preferred my finger, and liked her coconut swing outside the cage too. She’s a real sweetheart. Even S.O. who is new to birds is charmed by her as well. I’m very happy with our choice!
Very pretty bird but it looks as though, while you've given her a very large cage (good), it's not a cage for a cockatiel.

The cup she's sitting on is clearly too large for a cockatiel and the bars appear to be too wide. A cockatiel can easily get its head stuck.

Also, there are (only) vertical bars are all around. Cockatiels love to climb and while I couldn't find any cages that had horizontal all around, I could find one with horizontals on 2 sides.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Legacypgmr, thanks for your input, but I disagree.

The bars are the appropriate size at 1/2 an inch. I even measured to check. The bars are a little thicker than you normally see in this material, so that could be tricking the eye. There are some horizontal bars scattered throughout, so I don't think that will be an issue. My budgies, who are smaller, climb the vertical side of their cage just fine. I have a large hanging ladder to help her climb her cage as well. Yes, the bowls that came with the cage are a little large in size, and may decide to switch them out soon, but they haven't caused any problems so far. I only fill them partially.

-Amy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you, Janalee! Yes I consider myself very lucky that she was already quite time when I got her. She is continuing to become attached to me. She's so happy to see me when I get home, and got upset yesterday when I tried to take her off my shoulder to run some errands! I've never experienced this level of attachment with budgies before, but again, I'm very grateful she's so sweet.
If she is on her own, you will be her whole life. Tiels' become extremely attached to their people and want 24/7 attention. Mine never want to leave my side, and I have 3. I would recommend getting a 2nd if you work or go to school so she won't be lonely. I have never found it true that tiels' only want to be with another bird if kept as pairs or more. They are extremely social creatures and seem to have complex relationships with pair bonding along with outside the pair friendships. I have 3, the one older boy is not very tame. He is starting to bond with one girl, she likes him, but the two girls always want to be with me and my bf. They will try to not let me leave, but they are ok on their own because they have each other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best gender indicator is vocalization. Females will call back and forth to flock members and let you know they want attention, but males tend to enjoy singing. This can take a few months to show up in young birds. Other than vocalizing the genders can be very similar, each bird has a unique disposition and gender doesn't seem to be much of a factor.

Also, if you do decide to get any more tiels, you can choose either gender for a friend. Two girls or two boys can be just as or more happy than a pair. They are a lot like people, they just like who they like. Be a bot careful with budgies as they tend to push around cockatiels despite being smaller. That said, I've seen many close friendships between budgies and tiels'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If she is on her own, you will be her whole life. Tiels' become extremely attached to their people and want 24/7 attention...
I have two budgies that I'm hoping she will get along with after quarantine and that will help keep her company. If not, I'm a teacher and usually get home before evening, so I think she will be okay in the morning with plenty of toys. It's good to know she will probably not lose her bond with me even if I decide to get another cockatiel in the future though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice, Brightshen!

I bought Lilo at three and a half months old and for the past week she has been very quiet. She only makes tiny squeaks when she is excited or wants attention. She is much quieter than my two budgies, so it's hard for me to understand when people online say their tiels are loud. So this behavior confirms that she is most likely female.

I know about the fact that cockatiels are easily bullied, but I figured budgies would be a better companion to them than most species and mine are pretty chill. (I also like the fact that they are from the same natural environment and have similar diets.) So I'm hoping for the best, but will supervise any introductions carefully and house them in separate cages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts