Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! So I bought a four-month old lutino cockatiel (named Caspian) just a week ago, and I'm in love! I found that in some aspects Cass and I have bonded very quickly; he will fly from his cage or play area over to me, he's comfortable climbing on me, he accepts scratches about half the time I offer them. However, the other half of the time he will not be hesitant to bite me repeatedly until I move my hand away. In addition, it seems as though every day he resets and continues to see my hands as a threat until I manage to scratch his cheek and remind him that I'm his friend. Any advice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My boy is about or almost 2 now - got him when he was very young. He is so bonded to me that he thinks, or wishes!, I was his mate. But during molting time, I get pecked a lot if I'm doing something that he thinks I shouldn't be doing even when my hand is doing nothing. Once in a while, if he has absolutely no reason to be pecking my hand, I do tell him he shouldn't be doing that - putting him in his cage at night, however, that is a real pecking fiasco. I ignore it and lately have started singing to him when I'm trying to cage him, and that seems to help calm him. He thinks he's the boss here, and I won't let him be! He's definitely not so full of pecks when he's not molting, in fact he's very loving, initiating a lot of kisses!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think Cass is afraid of anyone in my house, but he doesn't seem to be completely tame (he didn't get as much attention as a baby as he perhaps needed). I've had him for three weeks now, and admittedly not much has changed. He's growing more affectionate towards me, I think, but he still bites my hand maybe 40% of the time that I offer it to him. He seems very happy, but still afraid of hands for the most part.

·
Registered
71 Posts
He’s learning to trust you. Don’t take offense. It could just be his nature but it also could be the way you approach him. When you move your hand towards him, come to him from a lower position. Eye level is more threatening. The main thing is to spend time everyday preferably more than once a day. Speak softly and try to keep his eyes on you as you move your hand towards him so as to distract him. Please keep a positive attitude. Don’t hesitate when moving or he definitely will go for you. Keep us updated! Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.