Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I introduced my self in the introductions section. Now I am here to announce that my new birds are starting to make noises!

They are young birds, just over a year, so they probably don't know many sounds and whistles. I wish I could whistle, but I never learned. Perhaps my birds will teach me! :p

I picked them up on Tuesday and I was a little concerned that they weren't making more sounds. They seemed to try to talk back to me when I talked to them.

My friend Jessica suggested we turn the music on in the room, so we put the tv on Love Songs. When I came back home this afternoon, I thought I heard some sounds from them, so I went in the bird room to talk to them some more.

The first bird I got, Bonita, started chirping back at me, then the one male and then his lady friend and then Bob. Even George chirped a few times. Now I hear more and more noise as I write this! I am soo happy!

These are my first cockatiels. I have always wanted cockatiels but never had anyone who knew anything about birds around to ask. Now I have Jessica and this message board.

Just wanted to share my happy news! Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wow, five cockatiels for the first time! Congratulations on your new flock. You will have a lot of fun with your new feathered friends.:)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It takes a couple days for them to settle in before they'll start making noise. And only the males will whistle and sing (mostly.) But since they're over a year old, they definitely know whistles, that's how they attract females.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, they'll adjust. And since they're all birds in a flock, they'll have some birdie company so it may be easier for them to settle in. Good luck to you and your new tiels!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Aw, that's great. It definitely takes them time to settle. I purchased a 6 year old male who had a previous home from my bird store. His papers,said he could say 'pretty bird' but they didn't believe it since he never made noise around them. I was lucky that the next day he was chirping...but shocked that within 3 days he was saying 'pretty bird' to us. It's,a matter of comfort :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts