Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always picked male birds over the years, however I ended up with Sammy, my female cockatiel a couple of years ago when my nearby bird farm called me about re-homing her. While I really miss the chattering my male birds shared, I've come to love how attached Sami is to me. My male birds would explore their surroundings; Sami comes right over to me and stays with me to play. She loves to look at my laptop screen with me. What I find particularly cute is her persistent desire to be petted. She requires I pet her in a certain manner, and if I stop before she's ready, she'll take her beak and pull at my thumb nail to command that I resume it.

I look forward to reading more about female cockatiel behavior on this site. I had read of gender differences...and this experience of mine affirms the difference in attachment between male and female birds. Sami certainly exhibits little interest in independence compared to my male birds.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Your cockatiel Sami sounds like such a lovely girl. While there are gender differences, there is always a unique personality that comes with each individual bird. I have a male similar to your girl Sami, and also a female. Regardless of gender they are super sweet and loveable birds. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sami sounds so sweet, I'm glad you found each other. :D I love it when my pets are really affectionate because it makes me feel loved and less lonely. I always feel like I share a closer bond with more affectionate pets. Care to show us any pictures of Sami? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you...decided I like spelling her name this way...Sammy...:). How do I post a pic of her?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts