Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Daisy, our 5 year old tiel has has a pretty rough time, she was always a bit frail, probably due to bad breeding from a crappy pet store we got her from, anyways, a few years ago she managed to lay of clutch of 4 eggs just fine. over the past few months she contracted a prolonged respiratory infection, she was given 3 rounds of antibiotics, vitamins, calcium, and we added a freatherbright full spectrum light to her cage, problem is, she decided now would be a time to start laying eggs, I noticed her trying to crawl more and more under papers and under tableclothes while she was with her momma.
Then she started nesting behaviors and sitting on the bottom of the cage. I knew what was up and weighed her, and she gained about 10 grams, her droppings changed to larger and darker, and she would spend alot of time at the bottom of the cage acting like she had a egg to put under her, sometimes just straining, other times just ripping up paper. I added a huge mineral block to the bottom of the cage she started chewing on and throwing around, surprising, cause it weighs more than her, her droppings changed back to normal colors and not so big, she's always slept alot, but she regained her perk, but we realized she needed to see the vet cause even tho she can poop I know she can still be egg bound, the vet said he definitely felt a egg and this egg has apparently been around inside her atleast 3 maybe 4 days now, they gave her a oxytocin injection, vitamin d injection and calcium in hopes it would induce labor so she would pass the egg, all it did was make it look like she was beginning to have a seizure for 6 hours afterwards from the stress. I left her on the bottom of the cage with her heat pad during this time and in a few hours she came back around and started pooping again normally and eating, and gnawing and throwing around her mineral block and sitting in her nesting spot, and then coming back to perch and sleep normally, sometimes going back to her nesting area. I'm really confused, we've been worried she might have a tumor, and she had problems with her air sac in the past, but our vet said she definitely has a egg. But I don't know how long she can last with that egg in her, it's obvious not causing her muhc discomfort and she is eating and pooping normally, but they say if she doesn't pass it by the morning, they want to see her. I'm just scared to death we'll lose her, or lose her to surgery or just to another office visit, she just gets so stressed out. And everything family wise is now coming to a head with all of us being sick with our own chronic illnesses, I just don't know what to do, I don't want to lose my "little sister" and my mother doesn't want to lose her baby, but it looks like this might be the end. If anyone could give some sort of advice, I'd really appreciate it, I have a go fund me, but this was started before she was eggbound cause he was having weird growths on he beak at times, but now this is just a whole nother issue, I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daisy passed away under anastesia, the doctor got the egg out, but she never woke up, even with CPR it was a shock to him especially cause she was so spry right before the procedure. I had a feeling she wasn't going to make it, but I held out hope.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So sorry to hear, these little creatures can be so delicate at times... RIP Daisy, it sounds like you were well loved and will be greatly missed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Makes me cry, I'm so sorry. I wish I had the words to make you feel better. She was a lucky bird, you did all you could to keep her healthy and I would say your good care probably gave her a longer and better life than many unfortunate birds have had. The biggest problem with these birds is that they are "prey" birds and will do all they can to hide their illness/weakness from us until it is often too late to do anything to save them. Also, there are so many things in their environment today that have a huge negative impact on their health that we can't protect them from. /hugs to you

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
egg bound

I am so sorry to hear about Daisy. Our little feathered friends can be so fragile. You did all the right things, sometimes it just isn't enough. Peace and comfort to you.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. They leave a hole much bigger than they are when they leave. :angel:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts