Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as if losing Rocko wasn't hard enough... My dog, Shelby, has been rapidly deteriorating in the past two weeks. She won't eat her solid food, she's been surviving on broth and cottage cheese. She's wet her bed twice, her left hip keeps giving out and she'll fall over while she's walking. She's almost completely deaf. She's started panting heavily while quietly whining inbetween, because she's in so much pain, despite being on Tramadol. Her tail is always tucked, it's so hard to get a simple wag out of her.

Anyway... I just needed to vent, I guess. I've had this dog since I was 4, I literally can't remember life before her. She's as important of an immediate family member as my parents or my sister. I don't know what I'm going to do when the time comes.

And that's another thing. How are we supposed to know when it's time? Why is it up to us to decide when to take her life? I get upset when I have to swat flies, how am I going to handle the decision to take my dog's life??

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Amz, I have been in that position, here is my opinion. If your dog is suffering, if she is not eating and so painful that she is miserable, you are already at that time. She is not a happy being, she is hurting and miserable. Take her out for the best day ever, love her and hug her, cry with her and hand feed her roast beef, hamburger, chicken or any other tasty tidbit she loves and will eat. Spoil her rotten and then take her and have her gently eased from her pain and over the bridge. That is what I would do. It is a very hard choice to make and quite frankly it sucks! However it is the most selfless, most generous gift of love that you can give a friend who has been there for you almost your whole life. The gift of peace and freedom from pain. I am so very sorry you are being faced with this pain...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Amz, I have been in that position, here is my opinion. If your dog is suffering, if she is not eating and so painful that she is miserable, you are already at that time. She is not a happy being, she is hurting and miserable. Take her out for the best day ever, love her and hug her, cry with her and hand feed her roast beef, hamburger, chicken or any other tasty tidbit she loves and will eat. Spoil her rotten and then take her and have her gently eased from her pain and over the bridge. That is what I would do. It is a very hard choice to make and quite frankly it sucks! However it is the most selfless, most generous gift of love that you can give a friend who has been there for you almost your whole life. The gift of peace and freedom from pain. I am so very sorry you are being faced with this pain...
That is a beautiful, amazing gift to give a lifelong furry family member.

My heart is with you, Amz. It is never easy, but when your whole life's memories involve the loved furbaby, it goes to a whole new level.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shortly after I made this post, my mom and I discussed things, and we decided to have her put down tomorrow morning. Thankfully, my sister doesn't have work until Thursday so she's going to come in from where she lives three hours away to be with us.

I'd love to spoil her rotten on her final day. The problem is, she has no more interest in food or treats, she's always hated toys and car rides and everything that normal dogs love. I'm having trouble thinking of things I can do for her.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Shortly after I made this post, my mom and I discussed things, and we decided to have her put down tomorrow morning. Thankfully, my sister doesn't have work until Thursday so she's going to come in from where she lives three hours away to be with us.

I'd love to spoil her rotten on her final day. The problem is, she has no more interest in food or treats, she's always hated toys and car rides and everything that normal dogs love. I'm having trouble thinking of things I can do for her.
Sorry to hear about your dog I lost two dogs one after another (Car Accident)
Just spend time with her I wish I got to spend time with my dogs and I miss them soo much all I have is birds now and all I can say is having a parrot is like having a dog only you dont go for walks.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry Amz :( we had to make the hard decision to put down our dog a few years ago. It was the right thing to do but that didn't make it any easier. Just knowing that they're going to be free from their pain and are going to doggy heaven, is a comforting thought.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What you can do for her is hold her, pet her, love her, and tell how much she means to you. Dogs know when they are being loved. You're having to make a tough decision but it's a loving decision. Grieving for a pet can be as intense or more so as grieving the death of a person so I hope you will give yourself time to grieve and work through your feelings.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My heart is with you and your family, tonight, tomorrow and the days and weeks to come. Lean on each other for comfort, share the good memories, and cry when you need to let the hurt out.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Her appointment is at 2:45, in about two hours. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am so very very sorry, just remember you are giving her the greatest gift of love that you can, I know it does not feel that way and it hurts like heck. But she will no longer be suffering, she will be running over the meadows, playing with all the loved pets who have gone before her. My beautiful lab/collie Patch, my sweet lab/shepherd, Lucy, my pony and childhood best friend, Star, will all be there to great her and show her around. She will be free of pain, happy and healthy... And she will be thanking you for helping her and giving her peace... She will have her wings.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My heart goes out to you. She was telling you it was time. It is an act of love like none other because it is so painful. She will always know you were there for her, that you love her and that she will always be in your heart forever.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She passed around 3:30. She went peacefully in my mom's arms with all of us there for her. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
R.I.P :( its sad to hear about other peoples pets im sure shes running around having a good time maybe even met my dogs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Amz, I am so sorry you have to go through this. My prayers are with you and Shelby. I too have many loved pets that have gone to the Rainbow Bridge and they will all be there to greet and welcome her. I hope you can find comfort knowing that she will be pain free and happy once again.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Many, many hugs coming from Indiana. Hold on to the thought that she was surrounded by love, no doubt feeling the love of her family with her, giving her their blessing to let go and cross the rainbow bridge,

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
No words. Just Hugs. :) **Hugz upon Hugz**

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you everybody for the support. It means a lot that you guys still have my back, even though I no longer have a bird and have little to contribute to the forum.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Thank you everybody for the support. It means a lot that you guys still have my back, even though I no longer have a bird and have little to contribute to the forum.
We're family around here. Even if you don't currently have a feathery one, you are still family. You still have loads to share, things you can teach others from what you have learned, and experienced.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts