Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just bought my cockatiel from the breeder he told me that it is 2 months old. I noticed that the cockatiel is missing its toes. is it normal?? will they grow back... and also the feathers on its head are missing..
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
e1f83dc9-b544-4a00-9eab-23f472ae0af1.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I never heard of a bird missing toes! The feather that are missing should grow back if it is a baby. Maybe they did not fully grow in yet. I would call the breeder and ask him to explain! send a picture of the feet.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Missing toes will never grow back. It's possible that the bird had bad parents who bit the toes off - unfortunately this does happen sometimes. Another possibility is that the bird was born without toes. The breeder should have told you about the missing toes before you bought the bird.

The missing head feathers are probably due to plucking by the parents - this is very common with cockatiels. The head feathers should grow back. If the parents pulled the whole feather out, they should grow back quickly. If the parents just bit the feather off and left the quill in place, the bird will get new feathers when it molts out the old quill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts