Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Bird Brain hurt his leg, he was limping quite badly. I looked on here and found a thread that suggested willow bark for pain relief. LOL I drove 20 miles each way just to break a branch off to bring it home to him, and it worked wonders. It worked so well in fact, that I went out and bought Bird Brain and Jezebel their very own willow tree. They had that poor tree stripped down in just 9 days, and it is just a stubby little thing now. LOL

This first picture was taken the day I brought it in for him, the second one 4-5 days later, and the 3rd one was taken just 9 days after I gave it to them.

As a gift the little stinkers laid a few eggs on the floor of their cage, I left the nesting box outside, I had no desire for babies. I read that the optimal age was 2 and Jezebel turned 1 in March. But, here they are, out of 6 eggs laid, one actually hatched. I haven't the foggiest idea of what I am doing, but mother nature is taking her course.

The 4th picture shows Bird Brain on the left, with Jezebel on the baby. and the last shows them getting ready to feed little Mischief.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm happy that the bark worked out for your Bird Brain :)

Also, can I make a suggestion if they ever lay eggs when you don't want them to again? You could look up and see if there are any bird rescues in your area and see if you can give them the eggs instead. A lot of places will even send someone down to your location (or to a location of your choice) if they are too far away to reach.

What area do you live in, if you don't mind saying? (You don't have to be specific)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Luna, and no, I don't mind, I live in Springtown, TX. Less than an hour northwest of Ft. Worth. I would LOVE to keep this first baby, but am worrying about the possibility of inbreeding, later on in life. I don't keep my birds locked up, they are allowed to fly around the den, and if they find their way into the living room looking for me, then they are welcome out there too. So, separate cages are not an option,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Shaenne, your babies are ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing. Yes, Panda and Bird Brain are both white and grey. Until I found him, I had NEVER even seen a picture of a white tiel, so he was quite a surprise.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Okay, the reason that I asked where you were is because had you been in Arizona Fallen Feathers would have been an option.

And I would love to see more pictures of Mischief if you get them, he was ADORABLE

I'm not sure what to do about keeping them from breeding. Somebody else on the site might have a suggestion, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a video of little Mischief, I hold him/her every day. I tend to call him a he, simply because he looks just like dad. LOL Had his coloring come out with the cinnamon, I'd be calling him a her. I am aware though, that he could just as easily be a she right now, and if he is, I'm going to be confused later on. LOL

https://youtu.be/c7RWIuHV-sk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Awww, such sweet new life :love:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts