Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Actually l, I would like somebody could help me with determination of my 3 months old cockatiel, because I’m really confused. I know it’s hard to know in this age, however, who has an experience will find this easy to identify.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
cockatiels
152 Posts
Hard to tell as your baby is so young, but guessing by the bright orange, might be a boy.

If tiel sings, copies sound etc really fast, is a boy as they do this. Girls will talk, sound etc but somewhat slower to pick up with less vocabulary range, but can be just as good. There is no hard, easy and fast way to sex by a vet in particular.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello everyone,
Actually l, I would like somebody could help me with determination of my 3 months old cockatiel, because I’m really confused. I know it’s hard to know in this age, however, who has an experience will find this easy to identify.
Thanks in advance.
By the cheeks only you could see its a male, but without a dna test you cant be that sure
You could also wait to see if it lays an egg¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
cockatiels
152 Posts
By the cheeks only you could see its a male, but without a dna test you cant be that sure
You could also wait to see if it lays an egg¯\(ツ)
You might not like me for this comment, but DNA testing can be a waste of time and money. Afterall, DNA testing isn't about sex gender, as it doesn't to humans but about parentage. You can do this but 50/50 of the time, might be right or wrong. If you have money to burn, do so. Why ask when you you will do what you want to do, not ask. Contact a very experienced breeder before you judge me as right or wrong. It is LARGELY about coloring by age, breeding birds parent colouring and everything I don't want to know as I won't breed, and how they are produced from varying anything.

Why did you ask if you think you know. That was rude.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You might not like me for this comment, but DNA testing can be a waste of time and money. Afterall, DNA testing isn't about sex gender, as it doesn't to humans but about parentage. You can do this but 50/50 of the time, might be right or wrong. If you have money to burn, do so. Why ask when you you will do what you want to do, not ask. Contact a very experienced breeder before you judge me as right or wrong. It is LARGELY about coloring by age, breeding birds parent colouring and everything I don't want to know as I won't breed, and how they are produced from varying anything.

Why did you ask if you think you know. That was rude.
Firstly, i didnt know that, i have heard by a lot of owners who have done these tests and said they were accurate so thats what i reccomend to people most of the time
Secondly, i wasnt the one asking the question, i replied to the persons thread, also, how was i rude? By actually trying to help someone with what i know?
Maybe you should think about what you said because you were the rude one in this situation

·
Registered
cockatiels
152 Posts
Firstly, i didnt know that, i have heard by a lot of owners who have done these tests and said they were accurate so thats what i reccomend to people most of the time
Secondly, i wasnt the one asking the question, i replied to the persons thread, also, how was i rude? By actually trying to help someone with what i know?
Maybe you should think about what you said because you were the rude one in this situation
Actually, if you are Waseem, you were the person asking. DNA testing has nothing to do with gender sexing. Simply parentage etc. Sexing can be done but as birds are what they are, never 100 percent accurately right. Give your bird a few months, have some patience, and it will be obvious. Not rude by me at all, just don't post loaded questions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually, if you are Waseem, you were the person asking. DNA testing has nothing to do with gender sexing. Simply parentage etc. Sexing can be done but as birds are what they are, never 100 percent accurately right. Give your bird a few months, have some patience, and it will be obvious. Not rude by me at all, just don't post loaded questions.
Well i am surely not waseem, look at my name and from what i personally have seen i knew that they were 99% accurate. I was wrong, thats true but im human and i make mistakes, now i know that theyre not accurate, thank you

·
Registered
714 Posts
DNA testing is 99.9% accurate. I've done it plenty of times for all my birds and their chicks, and they've always come back correct. You might be able to test for the birds' parentage, but DNA testing is always for the sex. Not all birds are obvious to tell just by looking at them or their behaviour. I have a very vocal female that I would have thought was male if I hadn't DNA'd her. Also, it is impossible to visually sex pieds and whiteface Lutinos. Their colors don't change as they grow up so there is no sure way to know what their sex is by observing them. I understand if you don't have money to spend on DNAing as some places can be quite expensive, but it is definitely worth it especially if you are selling babies as people usually like to know what sex they are getting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to tell as your baby is so young, but guessing by the bright orange, might be a boy.

If tiel sings, copies sound etc really fast, is a boy as they do this. Girls will talk, sound etc but somewhat slower to pick up with less vocabulary range, but can be just as good. There is no hard, easy and fast way to sex by a vet in particular.
Thank you for the reply. I'm not planning to do a DNA test. The bird only does chirping sound nothing more, so no whistling. does this mark show something about his gender? or the bird will start whistling later on? about his behaviour, I tamed him he flies and comes to me but not much. and I hand feed him as well. does this behaviour show something?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
it's a lutino, therefore a sex-linked mutation. if his mother is a lutino, it has a 50% chance of being a male or 50% chance of being a female.
if his mother is not a lutino, he is a female for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts