Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I got my first cockatiel on June first she is not much of a picky eater. She eats her pellets, seeds, and most of her vegetable however I offer her fruit but she doesn't eat it. The most she does is sniff it and continues eating her veggies. IS there any tips to help her eat some fruits or should I keep trying with different types of fruit.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think cockatiel need fruit. Fruit has high sugar content, which is not good for cockatiel. Veggies are perfect fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My cockatiel hated fruits apart from Melon, Apple and raspberries, I think you just have to try new fruits out and see what she likes , all birds are different.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Most cockatiels don't like fruit (it's not part of their wild diet), and that's OK because they don't need it. Vegetables are more nutritious than fruit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 4 tiels and only my Joey likes a few bites of an apple. If you skin it, take out the core (leave no seeds ever!) and then cook it or microwave it for a bit, it will become softer. Make it into really small pieces and make sure it's room temperature before you offer it. Sometimes sprinkling a little millet over the fruit will help them try it. That's how I got my boys to try carrots. Joey likes Granny Smiths but he doesn't like Fuji apples. I only offer the tiniest bit like once or twice a week. Fresh veggies are better. I offer them Kale, Bok Choy, Leaf lettuce, and carrot every morning. The carrot would be cooked so it's softer (cooled off of course) never give hot or fridge temp food to the birds... They won't like it and the hot food can burn them. Just let it cool off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts