Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bird from petco and he is the sweetest thing, I can do anything with my hands around him, he will step up on my fingers no problem, he gives me kisses and cuddles up to my face I can even grab him in my whole hand, and he just chills. But when I go to pet the top of his head he runs or tries to bite me!! Is there anyway I can break him of this and why is he like this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
How long do have your cockatiel?
Usually, head scratching or petting is reserved for his bonded mate. You may need to earning it over time. Don't give up yet.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
First of all, your very lucky with a tiel from Petco that will let you do THAT much with him! Few (if any) are actually hand tamed and raised. It's like a puppy mill only with birds that come straight from breeders that don't want to take time to train these birds! They just want cash in hand! Sadly, some cockatiels just don't like there head touched or scratched. Now with that said, like Daytontiel says, don't give up. If you keep working with him, he MAY come around but chances are it will take time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, your very lucky with a tiel from Petco that will let you do THAT much with him! Few (if any) are actually hand tamed and raised. It's like a puppy mill only with birds that come straight from breeders that don't want to take time to train these birds! They just want cash in hand! Sadly, some cockatiels just don't like there head touched or scratched. Now with that said, like Daytontiel says, don't give up. If you keep working with him, he MAY come around but chances are it will take time.
[/QUOTE.
I was afraid of buying him from there for that reason! But when I saw him pacing back and forth and went up to the cage and he just stopped and stared at me I had to get him. The people who got him out the cage used a towel to grab him which bothered me a bit, they were scared he would bite them. But the lady was very helpful and told me everything I needed to know to take care of him. Not a day after I got him I was putting some treats in his cage and he came right up to my hand and stepped on It, I then took him out and we been best friends since. It’s crazy how fast he warmed up to me! I just wish I could pet his little head but I’ll respect his boundaries.😂

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
WOW! I'm so pleased and happy to hear this report of your new bird! Perhaps I was wrong. He may have very well been treated in a good way when he was very young. It sounds as if the people at Petco don't know how to handle there own birds! MANY times when people have to towel a bird to capture it, it breaks a trust of humans! I would say you are very lucky indeed to have a tiel like this. I'm glad you stepped up and purchased him. Please keep me post on your dealings with him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my bird from petco and he is the sweetest thing, I can do anything with my hands around him, he will step up on my fingers no problem, he gives me kisses and cuddles up to my face I can even grab him in my whole hand, and he just chills. But when I go to pet the top of his head he runs or tries to bite me!! Is there anyway I can break him of this and why is he like this.
Try to
Try petting him from outside the cage. That might work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts