Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone,

Just 2 weeks before i bought home a Four and a half month baby Cockatiel .
Don't know whether male or female.

I checked the forum for new Cockatiel owers(what to do and what to not for the first few days)..I exactly followed it and everything is peety nice, the only things that annoys me is the smell..
I have added a big bowl with half filled pure water(i do change the water everyday and at night i take it out of cage) for the Cockatiel to bath..AND i saw him bathing sometimes :D

I saw him sometimes eating his own poop,so i remove the paper sheet everyday and keep the cage clean..

But he/she smells bad, i never own a cockatiel before so i am not familiar with the smell , but i am sure a bird can't smell so bad...

*I did checked the forum and web, i saw there are topics regarding bird smell.But i don't wanna do any experiment on that little cutie without having an idea what i am up to,so asking here for help.I have some budgies and always get the best help from talkbudgies.com :)

**IF necessary i can upload a Picture of my little Lutino Cockatiel

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cockatiels usually have a very mild, pleasant scent which you can only notice if you stick your nose in them (there are several threads here about bird-sniffing as we all seem to love the smell!)... Unless they're wet. Wet bird smells just as bad as wet dog. Is the smell there all the time, or just when they have a bath? If its all the time it could be a sign of a health problem.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I love the way Tiki smells, it reminds me of fresh grain :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can't say I've ever smelt my birds ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
They smell delish! Like a dusty rose :)
If he normally smells bad I suggest a visit to the vet.
When they eat poo it can mean that they lack some nutrients. Mines were poo eaters but stopped almost immediately when I started giving them Brewers Yeast.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They smell delish! Like a dusty rose :)
If he normally smells bad I suggest a visit to the vet.
When they eat poo it can mean that they lack some nutrients. Mines were poo eaters but stopped almost immediately when I started giving them Brewers Yeast.

Congratulations on your new baby!

What is Brewers Yeast ?? A Medicine ??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Brewers yeast is a nutritional supplement. You can buy it in health food stores. It has lots of B vitamins in it.

You may be particularly sensitive to something about a tiel's smell. I don't have any particular expertise. However, I am thinking about how some peoole are color blind, and different people are sensitive to different tastes, which is partly due to their nature and partly due to training.

If you get pleasure from your tiel, you may overcome your dislike for the smell. If nothing works and you still dislike it, you may need to consider rehoming.

My birds love getting misted. Daily misting may help (sorry if I am repeating what others have said.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
*sniffs tiel until feather blocks nose*
It's been 19 hours since we got Mack and I've already sniffed him about ten times :)

I sniff Sam and Blizz everyday too haha

Mack smells slightly floral and Sam and Blizz smell like coriander roflmao

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now really u guys gonna be mad on me when i gonna say what exactly the smell was from !!!!!!

Lol I am extremely sorry ........
That smell was coming from the Parakeets(they have laid eggs and the babies has hatched and it's really dusty inside the nest and smells bad)

I am Sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

I figured it out today, after sniffing the Cockatiel several times(time to time) and he/she doesn't smells bad at all ..But sure do is still afraid of me :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's been 19 hours since we got Mack and I've already sniffed him about ten times :)

I sniff Sam and Blizz everyday too haha

Mack smells slightly floral and Sam and Blizz smell like coriander roflmao

Mack is your new Cockatiel ?? Is that already tamed or u gonna tame it ? ? If yes , i gonna follow all steps u will do to tame it xD :p

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Haha great news, Nick! Having a beloved pet whose smell is bad is really really sad.
I used to have a dog, loved her to bits but she loved going to the park and roll in poo so I couldn't really snuggle... It was so frustrating!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Mack is your new Cockatiel ?? Is that already tamed or u gonna tame it ? ? If yes , i gonna follow all steps u will do to tame it xD :p
I think he was an aviary bird that escaped, the people who found him only had him for about 3 weeks they didn't know what to do with him, they did well nursing him back from deaths door though :) So it's taming time! haha

He's already kind of stepping up onto a perch and he isn't really afraid of hands just a little nervous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha great news, Nick! Having a beloved pet whose smell is bad is really really sad.
I used to have a dog, loved her to bits but she loved going to the park and roll in poo so I couldn't really snuggle... It was so frustrating!

ha ha :D

I think he was an aviary bird that escaped, the people who found him only had him for about 3 weeks they didn't know what to do with him, they did well nursing him back from deaths door though :) So it's taming time! haha

He's already kind of stepping up onto a perch and he isn't really afraid of hands just a little nervous.
So fast, mine won't even let me put my hands inside the cage..2 weeks passed away and still Hissing and flying off !!!!!!!!
He/she seems to have a bad thoughts about humans and i really need to prove it wrong . I am a good Human and won't eat him :(

G

·
LOL, too funny hearing what the smell was :) No wonder your tiel stunk, it soaked up all the stinky odors.

I am obsessed with how my tiel smells (addicted smelling him all the time). Horses and tiel smells soooooo good, unlike dogs. I NEVER smelled my dog, no thanks to that! hehe

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Tiels should not smell bad they should smell...snifferish :)

Brewers yeast should hopefully do the trick to fix his poop eating issue.

I love smelling Skiddles...she smells 'fluffy. Lol! My partner thinks she smells like corn chip. (weirdo). :rofl:

Nothing smells better than a quaker though. Louey smells like fresh bark...I love it. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts