Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

the male cockatiel came to my home 11 months back on a story evening. So I sheltered it and got accustomed to it for almost 2 months and bought a female cockatiel.

So I have the male cockatiel from 11 months and female cockatiel from 9 months. They started mating from 3 months back. I saw them mating many times but the female never laid eggs as of now.

I give them seed diet with a lot of greens too. Tried giving them fresh fruits but my cockatiels fear any new thing. So if I give fruits, they never come down from the perch.

Plus they have been provided with a nest box from 3 months which they really love now. Earlier they had a earth pot but didnt liked it. So changed it with a paper box. Maximum time I don't see the male cockatiel because he is inside box. Female bird goes very little inside but they love to play with it.

My both birds are Lutino cockatiel. Suggest me on how to breed them. I have no idea on what problem they might be facing.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

First of all... are you 100% sure you have a male and a female? Lutinos are very difficult to visually sex and unless you have had them both DNA tested you can't be 100% sure of their sex by looking at them. Females will keep the barred markings on the underside of the tail but these can be really difficult to see on a lutino.

Does the suspected male sing and show off for the female during courting? Does he do "heart-wings"? Does the female raise her back end for him? As a sign of dominance, a male will jump on another male's back and it does look like mating but isn't.

You won't have any luck feeding fruit, they are grainivores and prefer to eat seed, grains, vegetables and herbs. If you are able to get your hands on some parrot pellets that would be a great addition to their diet.

Another thing... even if you do have a male and female pair, the female being only 9 months old is much too young to start breeding. You should remove the nest box and let her mature to at least 18 months old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Vickitel,

Yes am 100% sure I have one male and the other female.
They at times give off feathers by which I understand because the female one have yellow lined feathers.
And yes, the suspected male sing and show off for the female during courtin. He does "heart-wings" many times and after flying off after mating too. The female also raises her back end for him. As a sign of dominance, the male jumps on her back and they mate. The female never sing too.

All these signs are normal but yes as you told of this age thing. I will keep this in mind. But whenever the weather is good (it is raining or a bit cold) they mate. I tried taking off the nest box but the male gets angry. He loves his box and protects it like anything. LOL.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yes they will be angry if you remove the nest box but after a while their hormones should calm down. Hormones make them aggressive and having the box in there when they aren't old enough to safely breed is contributing to this angry behaviour.

It's worrying when a hen is so young that if she does produce eggs there is an increased risk of her becoming egg-bound which is a life-threatening emergency. It is also a concern when breeding young cockatiels that they won't have success with the babies if the eggs do end up hatching. So it's better to wait until they have matured.

Keep in mind that cockatiels do mate for fun... :blush: They are one of the few animals that do this even if they have no intention of breeding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.